1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 6, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good thing, oop, you're not addicted to or obsessed with any type of unproductive behavior that makes you a lesser person.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean like jumping into threads like this and taking a weak little dig at another poster rather than actually contributing something? Yeah. Lucky I don't do that. You, on the other hand...

The best part is you aren't even bothering to try to understand my point and Versatile is too busy being offended by the truth. Being addicted to something doesn't make somebody a bad person. It does mean they have an obstacle to overcome. And denying the reality of that obstacle does not help. I'm not criticizing smokers. I'm acknowledging just how difficult of a battle they face if they choose to quit. Giving up something you enjoy is one thing. Beating an addition is much more challenging.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't understand why people won't listen to. It's gotta be frustrating.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If Versatile is only smoking on rare occasions, then he is clearly not addicted. Sounds like he could quit whenever he wants and chooses to do it for the pleasure. How is it any different than a social drinker as opposed to an alcoholic? Some people can use drugs recreationally and some can't without becoming addicted.

5. outofplace

Oh, I understand what he thinks is going on, and that you apparently agree. I'm just not buying it. Just because he handles the addiction better does not mean it is not there. You are dealing with an addictive drug. Different people are going to react to it differently, but the pleasure of smoking still comes from scratching the itch.

6. outofplace

Care to try that again? You were in such a rush to take another shot that you didn't even bother to complete your thought in the first sentence.

Or maybe you could do us all a favor and either post something on topic or STFU.

7. outofplace

Because nicotine is a heck of a lot more addictive than alcohol. It's not crack, but if you had to pick an end of the spectrum between crack and alcohol, it's a heck of a lot closer to the drug named after a part of your own ass.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does it hurt to stomp your feet so much?

9. outofplace

I believe I already did. It's an addictive drug. Just because some have more of a problem with it than others doesn't mean some people are just immune to the addiction.

10. outofplace

Thank you for once again proving me right by acting like troll. You never disappoint in that regard.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So there is no way anyone can enjoy tobacco unless he/she is addicted to nicotine?
    I'm a long-time smoker, and I have yet to break my ties, even though I'm down to about a pack a month.
    But it is possible for someone to partake in tobacco without being addicted.

Not that I recommend it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nicotine is addictive, highly addictive.
    But that doesn't mean everyone who has ever used tobacco is addicted to nicotine.

Draft saved Draft deleted