1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Creole, I gave up dip for New Year's. First three days were a bitch, but now the nicotine's out of my system and it's all mental. I bought some natural chew (all natural, made with mint and completely tobacco free) to hold me over when I get a craving.
    I joined a quit website called killthecan.org; there are a couple people on there who went to stop smoking. Might be worth checking out. It's pretty intense.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of the old Roger Maltbie line on why he gave up nicotine patches: "I couldn't keep them lit."

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Creosote, you're making the right call. I loved doing it. Ninety-nine percent of the best times of my adult life were with a cigarette in my hand. No shame in admitting it. Made a few friends smoking outside all those years. But at some point you also begin to understand they served their purpose. If you ever want to talk about the severe cravings, and what to do, let me know. I brush my teeth. You sure as hell aren't going to want to smoke anytime after you brush your teeth.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Menthol!

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When I was a kid, and I'm talking about the kind of punk shithead who takes up smoking at 16 to get closer to a circle of girls, I was led to believe menthol smokes contained fiberglass. Which, of course, was pure high school fiction.

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/menthol.asp

Didn't matter, though, was scared off for good and never went near menthol.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't go near menthol because it tastes like shit.

I smoke Marlboro Silvers, or what used to be called Ultra Lights.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marlboro%20ultra%20lights

My dad bummed one last time I was home and said "it's like smoking air. This doesn't even count as smoking."

And yet, it does.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Menthol is the best, unless they are Newports. That is too much menthol. I feel like I could quit at any time but I guess I just don't want to right now. E-Cigs don't do jack for me, I would rather smoke hookah as somebody else mentioned. E-Cigs taste like Parliaments as far as I'm concerned -- smoking air.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Best thing you'll ever do for yourself, Mr.C. I'm rooting for you.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Really proud of your progress so far, MC.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just start chewing tobacco. Red Man.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just curious--why do you think the e-cig made you sick?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wrong.

Most plausible is that you're a wuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted