1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting because you didn't get promoted.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

indeed, find something better and bounce. your boss' response was ridiculous.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tell your boss not to keep the next management opening a secret so you will know when to apply.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Wfw. That was a total bs response.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Compile a list of your three favorite guilty pleasures in life and indulge one each day until you can make it to the weekend and think things through clearly.

I echo the sentiment that you shouldn't quit until you have something else lined up.

Meet with the boss and ask why you didn't get consideration for the promotion. That serves a couple of purposes, not the least of which is determining whether you have any future there. Who knows, you may learn that you have a fault or two that's hindering your progress. None of us likes to hear criticism, but addressing some issue that's hanging out there could help you down the road whether it's at your current shop or some other gig.

Having that conversation might also give you some additional insight into the fuckface who got the promotion.

And, if you're exceptionally lucky, your boss could always slip up during the conversation and say something that he/she will regret down the road -- a promise to make it up to you, blurting out words that could be actionable in court, etc.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Do not quit before you have other employment in hand.

And in reading this thread, I get the impression the kid just promoted might not be there too long, either. Seems like there's potential for him to flame out on this job in a big time way (slacker behavior, dating a co-worker, now subordinate, if I read correctly). Lots of flashing lights there--something to consider for staying, although it sounds like that may be pretty unpleasant for you to do.

Oh, and what retail store is it and what's you're employee discount? We may want to send in a few orders before you walk...

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Start a thread "FarmerJerome Takes Out Her Stress From Work" and take out all of your anger on the people dumb enough to post on it.

Do this until you get a new job or get promoted.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes it was. But it also smacked of CYA. The cat was out of the bag, and the supervisor felt he/she had to do something quick. The supervisor can't just undo things and give FJ a shot, hence the cheap excuse.

Just hold tight, FJ, and look for another job when time permits.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's a TJMaxx owned company, 10%. There's a lot of golf stuff there right now.

PS. I'm hoping to find out the answer to this whole quandry in the next couple of days. At our store word of mouth when something is a secret lasts all of six or seven hours. And I will update after the hail of gunfire. :)

9. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

You sure you don't work at a shitty newspaper? I swear I've known people who heard that after getting passed up for an editor spot a few times.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

My girlfriend told me the rule of thumb was to be prepared to leave if you get passed over for a possible promotion you applied for. I took her advice and it worked out for the better.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, whatever you do, don't quit your job without having another one lined up.

I actually quit a job back in my younger days after being passed over for a promotion. And I didn't even know about the promotion until I read it in the paper I worked at. I walked into the office the next day to say I was quitting, but my supervisor was on the phone. So I wrote "I quit" on a piece of paper and left it next to him. Granted, in hindsight, I didn't handle it very well. But I chalk it up to being young and impetuous. Now I'm older and, well, just as impetuous, for better or worse.

Seriously, I wouldn't tell someone to up and quit over something like this. Luckily, doing such a thing on a whim has worked out for me previously. Apparently, I like the uncertainty.

Best of luck, FarmerJ.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I do work at a shitty newspaper...but it's my second job. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted