1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quite The Tape Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 20, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hate to make such a general statement like this, but these are different times.

One trip recently that I chaperoned, another school had no policy in place at all to ensure their kids stayed in their rooms. They thought it would be fun to remove every single piece of tape over 4 hotel floors from over 40 rooms. The next morning, we had no idea at all if our kids had followed the rules or not. Needless to say, that school had parents sleeping in the hallways the next night. We however, were comfy in our beds sound asleep on real pillows.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There was a story out of Austin a few weeks ago about a high school kid from the Dallas area who left his hotel room in the middle of the night and got hit by a car and killed. Turns out the school chaperones weren't really monitoring the kids at night.

Reading about that the tape on the door doesn't sound like a bad idea.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

While I was on one of these trips at hotel very nearby (the parents at home thought it happened at our hotel) a girl who went swimming at night drowned. Sounds pretty innocent, let's go swimming in the middle of the night. Or take a walk with your sweetheart. But shit happens.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No offense, Alley, but the kids in this story weren't being treated badly in any way.

It's a measure of keeping X number of kids safe in their rooms overnight and to make sure they can't sneak out.

The times we went on overnight trips in band the hotel doors were always taped shut at night.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only people in the story saying the doors were "sealed" are the parents, who are taking the word of their little darlings who would never, ever tell a lie.

My guess is the chaperones put a strip of duct tape on a corner of each door, not all the way around it.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

AA and I have agreed to disagree many times in private. Is this our first public "agree to disagree"?

And yes, it is just one piece of tape. That really is all it takes.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And I don't see a problem with that.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If that's what it is, then fine. But the story certainly didn't make it sound that way. Made it sound like they were sealing up the room as if it contained evidence.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It needs to be said, there is a difference between "taping a door shut" and putting one single piece of tape on the door and attaching it to the door frame.

10. You're right, Pete. It needs to be said...

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Wow. How'd I miss that? I've had a bad couple weeks on SportsJournalists.com.

12. My scorebook shows an error by Incaviglia. Oh well, make up for it next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted