1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quite The Tape Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 20, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I see no big deal with this. I assume it was one piece of tape, not some job whereby you could survive a gas attack.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jTeXziphQ0pgx-BI_SZPoXRjP3VAD90PBHH00

My high school hoops coaches did this to us all the time. And it works.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Man. Is that really necessary, though? I would definitely be pissed if I found out my son were being treated like that.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

On my high school hoops team? Yes. It was necessary. You just put one piece of tape from the door to the frame. If you open the door, the tape breaks. And since you're back in your room, you can't re-tape it. Therefore, you broke curfew or sneaked out at night.

4. That's not a very good reporting job. We need to know whether we're talking about forming a second door out of tape or one piece that will serve as evidence of misdeeds.
    There is a big difference between the two.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I heard they crept out one night earlier to go to an area strip club where a fellow choir member was performing under the stage name "Arietta".

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow. So because administrators, chaperones and parents do such a horrid job of keeping kids responsible and behaved, we have to tape their doors for evidence?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sorry to say it, but kids will be kids. You could have the best parents in the world, but that's not going to stop Betty and Billy from bumpin' uglies or sneaking out at night if there's no threat.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

On my HS team, the rule was this:

You had to put a shoe in the door, propping it open, at lights out. The coach would come by some time after lights out and check on everything, and if everyone was racked out, put the shoe inside and shut the door.

Worked for us.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

AA, this is policy at our school district. It is impossible to have a chaperone in each and every room on an overnight trip. While I would like to believe that my own child would not break a rule and leave their room in the middle of the night, let's face it, they are teenagers. I slept better when she was away on trips knowing that there was a policy in place that would prevent her from leaving her room and doing god only knows what.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No problem with a curfew policy--hell, professional sports teams have 'em.

But taping a door shut is pretty damn stupid.

Use the old James Bond trick: one hair across the door frame. :)

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Upon further thought on the subject, I'm not 100% sure it is a district policy, but it is a school policy.

And being a chaperone on several of these trips, I have to say that I liked the taping idea. Otherwise, a chaperone would have to stay awake all night in the hallway (another school in the hotel did this) to make sure the kids don't leave their rooms. At least this way I was able to get a decent night's rest.

It may sound cruel, but seriously think about it. You send your 14 year old child on a 3 or 4 day road trip with their school's organization. Don't you want to know there are some measures being put into place to ensure they stay in their room at night?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I dunno...you and I both took long school trips like that in the same school district and it was never really a problem in any instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted