1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, if you are saying the guy is in jail and that he made some "mistakes" I think you should be a little more specific about why he is locked up.

That ruined the column for me. You can't be half-honest.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Glad you said that, Ace. (I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be first to post it, in a rare show of restraint.) There are "mistakes" and then there are Mistakes.

I liked the piece but it would have provided a lot of depth to know how long they were looking at being without their loved ones.

3. For Chuck's son it will be quite a while. He was conivcted of capital offense murder.

Not sure about the father. I'm pretty sure its on drug-related offesnes.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yikes. I wondered if a crime wasn't mentioned because it would overshadow the premise of the column.

That one would do it.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What an irresponsible omission.

6. That was my take:
    Chuck didn't want people seeing the convicts for their crimes. He wanted them to be seen as loved ones in unfortunate, but similar, circumstances.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Kind of a bitch, isn't it?

Commit capital murder, and people are so quick to see you as ... a murderer.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boo
    Fucking
    Hoo.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Because the high school kid says exactly six words, I have to wonder whether he was a willing participant in this little column.

And, yeah, leaving out the fact that the writer's kid is a murderer just makes the whole column seem like a bad idea. I would have less of a problem with the writer, though, and more of a problem with whoever made the call to let it run.

10. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Would have been more interesting to read about how he's dealt with his own son's mistakes and circumstances.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You gotta come clean with the charges here.

And I get this feeling the convict's kid didn't want to be there. Sure, the dad said he did, but the column doesn't really offer much on how the kid feels, if the kid even gives a damn what his dad had to say. Sure, he thanked the writer. What was he supposed to do, tell him he's a douchenozzle?

I was underwhelmed.

Draft saved Draft deleted