1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quit smoking support group

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I don't smoke, but what the fuck is wrong with you man?

2. Dude, look who you're asking.

3. Clever username

I know, but still. That's just some freeze-dried bullshit that helps no one.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually that wasn't freeze dried. It was a steaming hunk.

5. Clever username

Excellent point.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're allowed to regret taking up smoking.
    I do.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not just a habit. It's a chemical addiction, one that makes me hope there is a very special place in Hell for tobacco company executives. (OK, I'm Jewish and don't believe in hell, but that's not the point.)

I will preface this by saying I have no idea what smokers go through trying to quit. I never tried it. Not even one puff. Never wanted to.

But think of it this way. A bunch of greedy bastards got me hooked on a narcotic when I was too young and stupid to know any better even though they knew it would ruin my health and most likely kill me someday just so they could make a lot of money. And if you had never tried it, you would be fine. The pleasure you feel when you take a drag? That's getting your fix, the one you wouldn't need if you hadn't tried the damn things in the first place.

To me, it would be a matter of pride. I wouldn't want those fuckers making their living off me like that. Every cigarette would be a failure, a defeat at the hands of corporate assholes that make their livings off getting 12-year-olds hooked on carcinogenic narcotics. That would piss me the hell off and leave me very motivated to quit.

And yes, I am an asshole when it comes to this subject. Many years ago, my father was one of those 12-year-olds. He had no idea what those things would do to him when he got started. He was 52 when the cancer finally ate up enough of his insides to kill him. He could have passed for a man in his 80s at the end. He barely made it to my wedding and never met my daughter. She lost her other grandfather, another smoker, to cancer whe she was a baby.

So yeah, I'm an asshole on this subject. I'm an asshole on lots of subjects, but on this one I feel justified.

And indiansnetwork, that shit about doctors recommending some patients keep smoking is stupid even by your standards.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

99 out of 100 doctors agree quitting smoking is never a bad idea. The other works for Marlboro and attended medical school via the internet.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

At first, you had me so worked up that I was ready not only to quit, but to also shoot these executives of which you speak. Anything that is against corporate America is my cup of tea.

But then I got so angry that, well, I needed a cigarette to calm me.

But I haven't had one. Of course, I've spent the whole day in the house, out of the cold rain. The real test comes when I'm driving past the gas station or stopping to pick up a soda. If I can dodge those bullets, it'll be one step in the right direction.

How is everyone else doing today?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Congrats on not smoking when you were hostile!

I quit about 10 years ago and am now a militant anti-smoker. Toughest thing I ever did in my life.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Could go for a beer, but I'm good on the smokes. No thanks.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha! Nice.

I know I'm lousy at helping anybody quit smoking. I just piss smokers off. This subject is always good for getting a rant or three out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted