1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig Internship opportunties

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dob23, Aug 15, 2012.

1. dob23

dob23 New Member

Our shop just started an internship program. As you can see, it's an on-going program. Below is our company's official listing. If you have any questions, please feel free to zip me a direct message.

Don O'Brien
    Sports Editor
    Quincy (Ill.) Herald-Whig

JOB TITLE: Full-time paid internships in journalism, broadcasting, communication and related fields

APPLICATION DEADLINE: We're always taking applications.

JOB APPLICATION URL: http://www.careersatquincy.com/category/220171/internship

WHAT KIND OF OPENING IS THIS LISTING FOR: Full-time

JOB DESCRIPTION:
    The Quincy Herald-Whig is now accepting applications to its new paid internship program in Quincy, Illinois. Our award-winning newsroom is searching for interns who have the skills and desire to work as photographers, news reporters and sports reporters.

The purpose behind the Quinternship Paid Internship Program is to offer students in the field of journalism, broadcasting, communication and related fields the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in broadcast television, radio, print and digital information. Students who participate (Interns) will gain a wide variety of practical experience and will receive an hourly wage. The company strives to offer this opportunity to a diverse group of Interns.

Interns who participate in the program will work a mutually agreeable flex schedule set by the Quincy Herald-Whig, while attending school. In many cases, the Intern can earn college or university credits and fulfill graduation prerequisites, if agreed to by their institutions of higher learning.

Internships usually run concurrently with the Intern’s academic semester; but can and may include opportunities during holiday breaks and summer recesses. The Internship will give the Interns opportunities to secure real world media experience, get acquainted with the Employer and its operation, and learn about work expectations and journalistic responsibilities. Interns must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver’s license and be insurable under Employer’s automobile liability insurance coverage, and maintain good standing with their sponsoring university and/or college.

Interns will be assigned an advisor/mentor who the Intern will work with, rely on and communicate with their advisor/mentor during their Internship.

APPLICATION MATERIALS:
    Apply online at http://www.careersatquincy.com/link/512243/quinternship-application

2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Dobber is a good dude, even though he didn't hire me many moons ago.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Very nice place to work with a smart, dedicated sports staff. Very good place for an intern.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I will second the endorsement of the Herald-Whig as a quality, small-city paper.

Oh, and you'd better like basketball ... :)

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting the quality of the paper - so don't take it as such - but given that every paper has a disparaging nickname given to it by the locals, I'm curious what the Herald-Whig's is. And how awesome is it that a paper has been around long enough to be named after a political party that disappeared 150 years ago.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Does the paper still support the Whig party candidates?

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Full-time PAID? Jump at this opportunity if in the region. You'll work with a top-notch sports staff, and I'm certain there is TV and radio work involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted