1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quiet time to read - where do you find it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Today I got home a couple hours before the Mrs., and found myself devouring Time magazine cover to cover, putting off my workout, television, paying the bills, etc., etc., etc. It was nice, obviously, but also reminded me of how hard it is to find the time.

How do you guys do it? Wake up early? Stay up after everyone else? Are you one of those lucky people who can read despite background distractions?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's about right.

Also, I like to read for a half hour or so before I go to bed. At least when I'm not drunk.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

3 a.m.-4 a.m.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I work in a newsroom. I love reading through all the distractions.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't know how to read without distractions anymore, which is why I moved my spare TV into my bedroom so I could have background noise at night to read.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I live alone, so I can read whenever I want. I usually read for about 30 minutes before I go to sleep, but if the book is good enough -- and right now Mailer's The Naked and the Dead is -- I'll keep on reading for a couple of hours.

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Read for a 1/2 hour before you go to bed--make it a priority, like shaving or brushing your teeth. Also, if you go to a gym, read while you're either on the recumbent bike or the treadmill. Granted, you're not going to read the Naked and the Dead at Bally's, but it's good for getting through the latest issue of Time.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Airplanes: no internet.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You mean without falling asleep?

I can't read in bed without dozing off, even if I just woke up from a 14-hour deep sleep.

I used to get a lot of reading done at the kitchen table, when I had one. I also second 21 on the airplanes, and I always keep a magazine in my bag for reading before games/during delays.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

21's got the right answer: Airplanes.

I just got through almost half of "Rothstein" by David Pietrueza (cq?) on a flight Monday.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a commuter so I read tons (books, Time, Rolling Stone) on the bus in the morning. I also travel a fair bit on the job during the hockey season so I read a lot there. I also read for 20-30 minutes before going to bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted