1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quicky car question....alignment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 30, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I haven't had an alignment in many, many years. My vehicle is a 1999 Toyota RAV4 and I got 89,600 miles on the first set of tires. Got new tires in 2004 and have more than 80,000 miles on those and they're still wearing nice and even. I get them rotated every 18,000 miles or so. When I had the new tires put on in 2004 I asked the guy if I should have an alignment and he said that considering I got 89,600 miles on the first set he wouldn't change a thing. Good advice. And it still tracks straight and rides like a new car. I'm going to hate having to replace it in a few years.

But to help you out, JR, as others have said, somewhere in the 60-80 range should be about right for an alignment for a two-wheel drive vehicle such as a Camry.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The prices on alignments are about right. The only thing I can add is that way back when I lived in the frozen north, I was advised not to bother getting an alignment in the winter, as you'll just wreck it next week when you hit a snow berm. Unless it's real bad, wait until the snow melts.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What are your tires made of? Granite?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Get your front end checked out as well. I've gotten a bit of an education over the years on things like ball joints, idler arms, tie rod ends, etc.

Find a tire person you can trust and have them check your front end out; otherwise, an alignment will do you no good.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know it sounds strange. I've never gotten more than 50K on a set of tires until this vehicle and I kept having to get alignments about as often as I rotate the tires now.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Unless your tires are OE, there is absolutely no reason to pay for rotation and balancing. Ever. And given that JR's car has nearly a billion miles on it, I'm pretty sure they're replacements.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated.

See, this is a thread where even people like Tony & I can get along. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted