1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick track question -- DNS?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DemoChristian, May 17, 2008.

1. Doing some track stuff and see a "DNS" for a guy who has no time in the event.
    That's "did not start," right?
    DNF is did not finish, I know.
    I don't care if people want to be smartasses, but can someone give me the real answer?

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Did not start.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did not score.

Meaning that runner wasn't figured in the scoring of that event. May have been an exhibition run to give someone meet experience in that event.

4. I thought about that, but he didn't have a time at all. Don't you think they'd still list a time?
    This is a major meet, BTW.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I would say "Did Not Start"

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hmm, I really wasn't 100 percent sure at all. It's been awhile since I've covered track.

If it is Did Not Start, what would that mean? That that person was entered in the event, but for some reason, did not compete in it?

7. That's what I figure — like scratched.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Actually, the athlete made the first call and checked in, but didn't show up to the line. It would be a SCR if they didn't show up to first call.

9. Rumple sounds like he knows what he's talking about.
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Well, I ran track and field for seven years. I have a small idea.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did not start. 100 percent sure.

12. I'd say 200 percent sure on that. Most of the meet scoring systems will put a big "X" next to the person's time if they're non-scoring runners, say from an independent school.

Draft saved Draft deleted