1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for my Jewish friends...and pretty much everyone else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Nov 3, 2010.

?

Offensive?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You have to find that confederate horse that runs backwards.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think the horse was confederate but the soldier riding it was

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No argument that it creeps me out. But if it's in a store devoted to Asian tchotchkes, I don't think I get to say that they shouldn't use their centuries-old symbol.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I agree. Just thought we should take a look at what we're talking about here.

Seems if the hindus had any sense of intellectual property law, the nazis would have had one helluva lawsuit to deal with.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Nazis were guilty of trademark/copyright violations, too?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"If we kill everyone, there will be no one left to sue us."

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Dan Bern (real last name: Bernstein) has a song about swastikas... it's the title song to one of his EPs..

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

On another forum I frequent, the man who founded it has decreed that no swastikas are permitted on "national" flags AT ALL. Many, many people have argued the symbolism behind the Hindu version as a reason there shouldn't be a blanket ban.

Every time that debate comes up, it gets quashed "because Max [the guy who founded the forum] said so."

Considering what the swastika means for so many people, it's incredibly insensitive to use even the Hindu version. I think the same way about the Confederate flag. I've even thought about burning one in front of the KKK.

9. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

"Maybe they found it on some pre-cursor to the internet. If so then it was public domain."

- Judith Griggs

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now if the shopkeeper has a Hitler mustache ...

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Tenfold Avatars of Mighty Vishnu were good at first. Then they went too far.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There were swastikas in the tile pattern of the steps in one of the residences of the university I went to.

The building was built in the early part of the last century but still suprised that they were never removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted