1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bostonbred, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Stringing high school columns, and 3-dot versions, in particular -- high reader standards there. No wonder circulation is booming.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Paging Mud. Paging Allan Malamud. (Damn, I miss his columns.)

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not that I know of CU, and I have been around a bit.

My response was an educated guess.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Funny how reporters never think a few inches is that big of a deal. I can't count the times I asked for 16 inches, and the reporter finished and said, "I wrote 20 inches; is that cool?"
    Usually not a big deal unless it's on deadline. That's when things get really fun.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In the old days, I always thought it was better to write longer -- I thought it was best for the editors to use their judgment on what to leave out.

After a couple stints on the desk, my opinion has changed drastically.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Colbert, I've reported and been on the desk, so get what you are saying. The stories that I was referring to checking were usually longer features that I turned in a few days early. I would be writing and wonder if my story was 30 or 40 inches, so I'd do the math. When I put it in the system it would be close. This was usually on a Thursday for something I put on the budget for a Sunday. I know deadline is different.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That's really my point. When I have time to sit with a reporter and decide what to leave in and what to take out, or if I have time to tweak the space, it's not a big deal. But when I have to send a page in five minutes, and I get an extra 2-4 inches of copy, it's likely that those last 2-4 inches will not make the final cut.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

First time I'd heard it called that. I have heard such a column called a "scatter-shooting" column.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh no. Those columns are stupid.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We shouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe it's not an ellipses thing at all.

Maybe the editor just expects a total of three sentences in the 10-18 inches (an no lower-cases i's). It's possible that the paper is just short of dots.

Lots of long dashes is the way to go.

Oh, and don't agree to do something without knowing what you are agreeing to do. How can you say you'll do a three-dot column if you don't know what it is?

I'm much more impressed with people who ask specific questions about things they don't know than people who try to guess or fake their way through. Many of the bad mistakes in newspapers are from people making false assumptions.

Much better to ask questions up front than to explain to the editor afterward that you weren't quite sure what you were doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted