1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick London trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 1, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Looks like we might have the opportunity to hop across to London on NYE. Won't get there for the party, but if the trip happens, we'll get there early morning o the 1st.

There are literally thousands of references out there and, to be truthful, we'll have about two-and-a-half days in London, before heading to my friend's house in Oxford for a couple of days.

We've got all the tourist stuff figured out ... the parliament area, a couple of museums, Trafalgar, the eye, a river cruise, St. Paul's, an afternoon tea, etc.

Any experienced Londoners out there with a few suggestions? Neighborhoods to stay in? Good restaurants, etc?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If you're looking for a cool spot for tea/light lunch, I highly recommend The Orangery: http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/Foodanddrink/Orangery. It's a beautiful setting, and since it's right in Kensington Gardens, you can go for a walk in the park before or after if the weather is decent.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No idea if you have any interest, but an evening at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium would be a great way to see a different slice of London life. They race on Friday and Saturday nights and you can get a pretty damn good meal at the stadium, too.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You'll be getting there just as my sister and brother-in-law leave. They're going as chaperones for a high school trip.

Any tips passed on to you, I'll pass on to them.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

London is great in the two weeks between right before Christmas and right after New Year's Day. The town empties out and you can enjoy everything, the museums, the architecture, the holiday lights, without having to deal with the crowds. It's a wonderful sensation walking down a side street somewhere in the West End, hardly a soul or car in sight, and feeling like the city belongs to you.

If you're doing the museum circuit, check out The Courtauld Gallery. It's about ten minutes walk from Trafalgar Square, has a whole bunch of Impressionist paintings and is located in Somerset House, a grand Georgian building whose courtyard is replaced by a skating rink during the holidays.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you're in the Parliament area, you can check out the Churchill War Room. It's on the roundabout across from Westminster. I think the lines don't get that bad.

As far as restaurants, if you're looking for quick, the pubs have some good food. Beyond that, see if someone can recommend a good Indian place. It's on my short list of regrets that I didn't get a chance to do.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Good Indian place: Veeraswamy. http://www.veeraswamy.com/

Not as expensive as it looks.

Draft saved Draft deleted