1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick etiquette query

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've usually tipped for tattoos... but this last one is my best and i didn't... i'm not sure why not. it almost felt like it would be an insult to him

and i've paid for all of mine afterward. beforehand makes more sense, but, well, not so much

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel badly that I ate at Sonic as long as I did -- and it wasn't that long, really -- without leaving a tip.

I usually give 'em a buck. No big deal.

3. NEVER tip at Sonic. I had a buddy who worked there when we were in high school (about 10 years ago) and the carhops were getting paid $7.50 back then. He was laughing about getting tips, which brought him up to like $10 an hour.
    Again, that's 10 years ago, so I'd imagine they are getting paid more now. They deserve whatever they are getting, but they aren't getting any extra from me, considering they get paid more than I did for a long damn time.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

My general rule of thumb is if you don't come out from behind the counter, you don't get a tip.

That raises a question, though. There's a Domino's Pizza across the street from my apartment. Do I still need to give them a tip, even if I do the legwork every time and pick up the pizza?

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

How about people who pump your gas? I've never done this but I was reading a book about Whitey Bulger (I think it was "Brutal") and it said he always tipped gas station attendants. His line was (and I'm paraphrasing greatly because I don't nearly remember it word for word) was about how people tip assholes for bringing you your food in a restaurant but no one tips attendants who are out in the freezing cold or the blistering heat pumping your gas.

Not that I'm taking my etiquette cues from Whitey but if I fill it up for $17, I usually just give a $20. Others tip gas station attendants?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've never had full service at a gas station in my life. Honestly, I don't care if I ever do.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tip a guy if I picked the pizza up from him ... all they did was do their job, probably without moving more than 4 feet.

I hate the "delivery charge" pizza places all include now. It's usually not enough to be the full tip, but it's a part of it, and it adds up. The "delivery charge" should be covered by the tip. I'm giving the kid money because he brought me my pizza ... I don't understand why I need to give his boss some money too.

I'm not a big tipper anywhere, though. Not far out of college, I figure I can tip when I have more money than the people serving me do. For now, I tip about 15% for good service, 20% for great service and 10% or less for terrible service.

As far as all the other people you're supposed to tip ... if I don't give them enough money extra, then they should charge more for the product. Tell me how much it costs, and I'll pay it, but don't look down upon me when I don't fork over money I don't have very much of in the first place.

And I never tip at Sonic and I do feel bad sometimes. But I once heard that they poop in the chili, so that's just tough shit, I guess.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

IIRC, from when I delivered pizzas, the surcharge (usually $0.75) basically serves as mileage for the deliverers ... it's a way for the companies to get around paying mileage, but it doesn't have anything to do with tips.

Don't stiff your tip just because of a "delivery charge." The deliverer doesn't get that money directly (it does help them earn a little more, because they get a percentage back based on how much they sold that night, and the delivery charge adds to that total.) But most of their income comes solely from tips.

I know you're just out of college and all, Pilot, but I hope you do start tipping more when you start earning more. Nothing worse than people who take out their grievances on food establishments by stiffing the (mostly) kids who earn tips. It's not their fault.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you go to the same pizza place each time and don't tip the delivery boy, I hope you like cold pizza that has been propped on its side for the ride over. Or worse, a pepperoni and loogie pizza.

Draft saved Draft deleted