1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick etiquette query

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a really nice hotel a few weeks ago. I never let bellhops take my bag to my room because it makes me feel uncomfortable. It's not a tipping issue because I was working and could be reimbursed...

Anyway, I check in and carry my bags to my room.

About 10 minutes later some hotel employee calls me and asks if I have an ice bucket. I tell them I don't know and I'm asked to check by the desk. It is missing. I tell them it's not there, but not to worry about it...

A few minutes later some guy comes to my room with an ice bucket. I shrug my shoulders and take it and thank the guy, who proceeds to stand there like he's expecting a tip...

Needless to say, it wasn't happening...

I also get pissed when I order room service, they bring it up and the tip is already added to the bill... They try to trick you into tipping twice. I've fallen for that before... I'll check the total, write a line across "Extra Tip" and sign it... More than once I've gotten a look of disgust from the delivery guy, like I should feel some need to tip 35 percent for my club sandwich and fries...

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Indeed, I made $2.13 working lunches at my first post-college stop.

Having done that, I top waitresses/bartenders a shitload. Like, 50%.

I would never, ever tip a Sonic person. Or a Starbucks person (if I drank coffee).

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuckin' eh, how has this not come up yet ;D:

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm sorry, but nobody ever deserves a 50 percent tip...

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm going to threadjack just a bit on Mizzou's post, but I've noticed a growing trend with hotels. In the last 18 months I've had the opportunity to stay at all kinds - nice downtown Hyatts to Days Inn - across the country. And I've never seen housekeeping as bad.

I'm not incredibly picky, I'm not a germophobe, but hotel room cleanliness is important. I don't want to see someone's Goldfish cracker crumbs next to the bed or, the worst, see someone else's hair in the shower.

And it seems to have gotten worse lately. Almost every hotel I've stayed in has had some kind of problem worth mentioning to the front desk.

That's all. Resume Sonic discussion.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I once worked at a so-called "high-end" hotel ... that I would never, ever want to stay at.

7. Mizzougrad96

Last year, I checked into the Ritz Carlton in Washington D.C. and when I checked into this same hotel where Michael Jordan lived for a year when he was with the Wizards, I walked into my room and there was a monster-sized shit in the toilet... The room was normally $295 a night (I paid a team rate of considerably less...) and the maid staff can't flush?

That was a fun one to explain at the front desk...

8. Mizzougrad96

I usually try to stay where the team stays and I generally don't like it if they go higher end than Westin, Marriott or Hyatt...

I was in New Orleans a few years back and staying at what supposedly is the nicest hotel in the city and if I wanted to get ice, I had to call the front desk and have it sent up... If I wanted to buy a coke, same thing... That just fucking annoyed me...

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You should've taken a shit in the toilet and then just left it. That'd have showed 'em.

10. Mizzougrad96

Well, at most places, they'd flush it... :)

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i read something once that said you should tip your hairstylist (hey, he's gay, i can call him that) unless it's the owner, and the owner you don't tip

is that true?

what about a tattoo?

i just got another one and the owner did mine. i paid by credit card and there was no line for a tip, so i didn't. and i kinda felt bad, but, well, you know.... it's fuckin' awesome work, and i guess me showing up in a month and letting him take a photo for his porfolio is enough, but still... i mean, it's fuckin' awesome. i feel like i didn't pay enough...

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I got A FUCKIN' HAIRCUT tonight, and I tipped. I always tip there, and they always treat me right there. Don't know who the owner is, so I tip everybody. She got a big one this time because it was a free cut (buy 7, get 8th free, or somethin'), so she got like a 50% tip from the regular price.

I actually did tip for my tattoo, but I have no idea if I was supposed to. Had to pay beforehand (is that the norm?) ... so I figured I better not piss off the artist and give him a lil' extra so he'd make sure it was great. And it was. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted