1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick etiquette query

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Should employers pay their people more? Absolutely. Am I going to tip stiff them because I'm taking a principled stand? Not a chance.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I work hard, no one tips me.

I tip when I know they earn less than minimum wage as a "server."

Other than that, no.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tip em. They are waiting on you.

Wouldn't you tip them if you ate in your car and they brought food and took away the tray and whatever else in between?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but don't all waiters and waitresses, as well as Subway "preparers" make minimum wage? What am I missing here? Where are people being paid $2 or $3/hour?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I start at 20 and drop it depending on service. I do about 20-25 on my hair people (they can damage me for a lot longer than a bad meal would) and my mani-pedi people.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There's a thing in the wage rule in which if you work a job in which a certain amount of tip can be expected, those people can be paid less and count the tip as part of their wages.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Poin --

Your average server at a national chain restaraunt makes between 2-4 dollars per hour. As long as they claim tips which make up the difference between that and federal minimum wage, that's legal.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

An employer can pay an employee who receives tips as little as $2.13 per hour, but their wage + tips must equal the minimum wage. The employer is responsbile for the difference if that amount is not reached.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I didn't know. I think in the People's Republic of California, even waiters make minimum wage, at least the ones I know of.

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Servers are expected to claim their gratutity income to the IRS. To amnke certsin that occurs, the IRS calculates expected tips from the server's gross sales.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Poin, that's correct. California does not use the tip credit concept.

Doc -- the IRS usually doesn't bother unless there is a major discrepancy.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just once, pay by credit card and see if there is a spot for a tip. If there is, they probably expect something... If not, it shows the company doesn't expect them to be tipped...

Draft saved Draft deleted