1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick etiquette query

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing annoys me more than the fuckin' tip jars at coffee places.

They should tip ME for waiting on myself.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you pay by credit card at Sonic, there is no line to add a tip. I take my cue from that.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I tip at Sonic (just a dollar) and I put my change into the tip jar at the coffeehouse (which is a Starbucks. Down with Corporate Coffee).

My mom waited tables when I was a baby. I tend to tip everybody. I don't think that's a bad thing.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

[​IMG]

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cadet's got this nailed.

Tip people whose employers are allowed to pay them under minimum.

anyone else, I guess, tip if they do a great job, or if you've got the money.

I refuse to tip the folks at my local coffee house with a jar that says "Tipping is good karma" unless they remember my order.

Because that's good karma, too, piercing boy.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, tips SHOULD be given at Sonic, but usually no more than a dollar. I actually did a story on tipping and Sonic carhops were some of the people I interviewed.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Allen --

What do they make an hour?

I have worked ostensibly in the service industry, and tip very well in bars and restaraunts.

But I'm not going to tip some girl making $7 an hour so her employer can advertise tips.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm a cheap bitch, I always tip waitstaff/bartenders at 20% unless the service is nonexistent. I tip personal service providers (hair stylist, mani/pedi technician, massage therapist) at that rate as well, because tipping is expected for those professions and there is a personal element to it.

I just don't see a point to tipping the kid who scoops the ice cream into a bowl. And I used to be that kid.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My problem with it is that the employers will then use your tips to keep wages artificially low.

They know they can keep people at $6/hour until the are gone -- and not many stay long enough to earn a raise -- by advertising 6$/hour + tips. There's always another kid who needs a job.

Fuck that. Pay what the market will bear, and I'll tip if the service is superb.

Waitresses making $2 an hour get 20 percent, minimum, up to 50 percent for great service.

Oh, and I just stiff the shit out of the Cold Stone kids and love it. If I wanted to hear desultory singing out of preppie suburban white kids, I'd have taught choir, you nimrods.

God, that felt good to say.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't exactly know what they make at Sonic, but I'm not about to punish a teen trying to make a little money just because their employer is artificially keeping waging down like that. It's not the kid's fault, and hell, it's only 50 cents or a dollar.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I tip them the coin change, or a dollar if that's less than 50 cents or so. It makes me feel good, so I do it. I don't go to a lot of other fast food places, so I don't have to worry about that comparison. I firmly believe in a kharma-based trickle-down tipping theory. I don't tip for crap service, but if you're good, I'll tip you at least 20 percent. I also tip a buck on every beer (sometimes I'll just leave the coins at a place that screws the bartenders and charges $x.25).

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, Allen, I don't really disagree, but I will say that that's the attitude the greedy employers are counting on.

They're preying on people's good nature. That's what irks me, not the dollar amounts.

But should I be tipping at Starbucks, or should Starbucks have to raise its wage to find competent help? That does become an issue for me.

The government raising the mimimum wage would help a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted