1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick etiquette query

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Assuming the service is prompt and friendly, do I tip the carhop at my local Sonic?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

That's assault, brutha.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think tips are normally given at Sonic. So, no.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Ah, yes, I've wondered about that myself. Sometimes I tip, sometimes I don't. If it's just a Route 44 cherry limeade, probably not. If it's a whole meal, probably a dollar. They need to post a sign saying what the etiquette is.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Only if they're on roller skates/blades.

I only tip regularly at places where they are paid the waitstaff wage (something stupid like $2.15/hour in anticipation of tips). Sonic and Starbucks both get paid full wage. I've asked.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Case closed.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Totally agree with the skates argument, if not they can fend for themselves.

8. busuncle

busuncle Member

I usually give a buck. I figure, why not? But no, I don't think you're really required or expected to tip.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Please, tip them. If they are working hard, tip them.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do, generally. Either the coin change or a buck... sometimes both if its shitty out..

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I work hard. Nobody tips me.

Non smart-ass answer: there is a reason that certain types of food-service jobs are not paid the waitstaff wage - no tips are expected. Sonic, Cold Stone, Starbucks, the local burrito place, etc. are all paid at full wage.

Tipping people in those positions means you should tip the retail person who finds your size, the stock kid at Toys 'R Us, the cashier at the grocery store, the one-hour photo technician, etc.

Waitstaff, cocktail servers, etc. should absolutely be tipped, and the more the better. Tips are expected when they make the below-minimum waitstaff wage.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is just my personal opinion - nothing more, nothing less. I've decided this year, that if I am going to spend "X" amount of tipping money a year, that it's going to be spread around a little more evenly. I am disappointed in seeing mediocre service in high-end restaurants, and paying $40 - $60 for a large bill, when the service seems desultory at best. Some of that money is now going to the donut shop owner, or the girl at Subway last week, whom I gave a $10, while she was working a long line of people, many who seemed to have a speech impediment. More to the busboy at Souplantation, less to Hans at the trendy restaurants my wife likes to go to once in a while.

Just my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted