1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick air travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

finito,

If you do go this foolhardy route, don't just disappear.

Come back to the connecting flight in a very revealing outfit so they kick you off the plane.

Or demand they hold up the flight while you run to get a yogurt-covered pretzel.

Let them be the bad guy. Got it?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you fly Southwest it doesn't matter. You just get a credit, though I would let them know you won't be making that leg of your journey. I did this recently on a flight and now I have $200 credit with Southwest.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, there's some folks on this thread who have obviously done it, but I'd recommend against it. Pre 9-11, this occurred all the time. Post 9-11, the airlines and the government get a little ansy when there are people not where they are supposed to be in a secure area of an airport. My guess is your name will at least end up on a list that may or may not get looked at.

And it's only New York and Boston. Not like they'd have any special reason to be concerned about people's travelling habits.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I go back and forth on this.
    Yesterday, I cashed in USAirways miles to get home early from St. Louis-Pittsburgh. (I'm glad I did, team got home 11 hours after I did).
    Anyway, instead of using just 12,500 miles to do it, USAir said it had to be a round trip for 25,000, so she booked me from Pittsburgh-St. Louis this morning, which I didn't use. She said just skip that flight, and I have a year to use it, and can change even the destination.
    I guess it depends on the airline as to the red flags.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with 9-11 security measures but airlines can cancel your return if you no show for a leg of your flight and don't notify them. That shouldn't apply to you since you're using a different airline to return home though.

If you're worried about it just hang around the airport and walk up to the gate for the Boston flight about 10 minutes after it leaves. Make up some excuse as to why you missed the flight.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but airplanes count on people to never get on flights in the first place. They take a dimmer view on losing them halfway to their destination.

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

If you're checking a bag, you have a problem. You won't be able to get the bag. That bad boy is headed to Boston.

If not, just tell the gate agent -- not an attendant, the gate agent -- when you get off the plane that your plans had to change because of an emergency, and if they'd like to give your seat to Boston to a stand-by passenger, feel free. They'll thank you profusely.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Skip a leg and the rest of your ticket is canceled.

Yes, it's against the rules but unless you make a habit out of it airlines usually don't bother.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Pray the flight from Dallas runs late. That way you'll miss the connecting flight and just tell the airline you can't wait for the next flight and will get to Boston another way.

Or stall in the airport until after the connecting flight leaves. Run up to the gate after the flight leaves and make up an excuse about being delayed and you'll find another way to Boston.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, I like this version. I'd be nervous about the other ones, but this seems to make sense. And technically, your plans did change, at one point. You initially planned to pay more to fly from Dallas to NYC, then changed that plan!

Draft saved Draft deleted