1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick air travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Sep 7, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I want to get from, say, Dallas to New York.

It's $100 bucks cheaper to fly Dallas-Boston, with a connecting flight in New York.

So the plan would be to get the cheaper flight, get off the plane in NY and not continue on to Boston.

With all the 9/11 security crap, will that come back to bite me in the ass at all? Get my name on some kind of security list?

Thanks for any info............

2. don't know about the security question but it's worth spending $100 extra to avoid changing planes at Logan and getting to NYC a few hours later

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your round trip will have you starting back in Boston.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't know if you'd be added to any watch lists, but if you got off a Dallas-to-Boston flight during the changeover in NYC, it could raise some flags and might get you a visit from the police.

For instance if the flight attendants were paying attention and saw you walking off the plane with your carry-on bag and then not return, the flight could be delayed while all the stowed luggage is offloaded and checked to make sure you didn't leave a dangerous checked bag aboard. Or other security stuff could happen.

But I'm surprised its cheaper for the full Dallas-to-Boston flight than it is simply for Dallas-to-NYC leg of the flight before it continues on to Boston.

5. finishthehat

No, the idea is I wouldn't go to Boston at all. Instead of walking through JFK to the connecting flight to Boston, I'll just walk out the front door of JFK.

Moddy -- no round trip. Coming back from Baltimore.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The airlines are aware of this and do not allow it. If you do not board the NY - Boston flight, the airlines will send you a bill for the price difference that you saved by not buying a ticket direct to NY. If you don't pay it, they won't let you fly on their airline until you do. This is not considered a trivial thing by the airlines, they take this VERY seriously. Don't do it.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

As long as you don't check bags, it shouldn't be a problem. If you miss a leg of a trip, it cancels the whole reservation. If you're leaving BWI on the same airline as you flew to Boston New York on, that would mess you up.

People do this a lot . . . airlines seldom do what ThomsonONE says, although they have tried in the past and technically have the right to do it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't do it... I did it once and it turned into a fucking nightmare...

If you get brave and do it, swear to the airline that you missed the last leg and decided to drive the rest of the way. That's the only way you can get out of it. I still wouldn't do it...

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Try it and let us know how it works out.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Tell them you missed the flight because you were stuck in the can because of your "wide stance"

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've done this before and no one has ever sent me a bill for any unflown segments. As far as the airline knows, you had a heart attack and were rushed to the ER.

Do it.

12. finishthehat

We have a consenus!!!!

FWIW, the Baltimore flight's on a different airline.

Draft saved Draft deleted