1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for car guys/gals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoCalDude, Apr 10, 2013.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Looking for a new SUV. Intrigued by the Ford Explorer. My previous vehicle was a 2000 Explorer that I got 200,000 miles out of and was probably the best vehicle I've.
    Got a bit of a spiel about the EcoBoost engines. 4 cyl, twin Turbo, 285 horsepower. They also talked about a 6 cyl, twin Turbo that delivers 385 horses, but I couldn't find any info on that engine in their website.
    Anybody have any input on this, pro or con??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What kind of driving do you do? Do you need 100 extra horses for towing a trailer?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've driven the new Explorer a few times as a rental and did not like how it drove or the ergonomics. Be sure to give it a long test drive.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you drive an SUV you are terrible person.
    Everyone knows that.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I aspire to be a terrible person

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Whatever you do, make sure to get the good, green stuff.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've been driving an Explorer for 13+ years, had the last of the too-skinny ones in 2000. So driving the new one seemed like a dream in terms of stability and handling.
    The 4 cyl. twin Turbo seemed to have enough poop, but I'm just wary of a 4 cyl. engine in a midsize-plus SUV. No plans to tow anything and I won't even be tempted. I didn't even want three rows of seats, but they all have them, including the Toyota 4Runner, which is also high on my list.
    OK, I am a bad person when it comes to car choices, but I make up for it by being a good person in most other things that are a helluva lot more important than MPG.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Just looking at Ford's website, a couple things come up. One is that the four-banger (and the turbo six) require premium fuel. So you'll be paying 20 cents a gallon more than you might otherwise. The four is also unavailable with all-wheel drive.

Also, since you keep cars a long time, it looks like there's a lot more to go wrong with the four. Five or six years from now, you might find yourself with some more expensive repairs with the turbos. You will get better mileage, which is the one reason to get the four.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why an SUV? Size? Ride height? Cargo space? Go offroading?

Just wondering if you wouldn't be better off with a RAV4 or an Outback or a Forester.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Salesman I talked to at the Ford dealer assured me it burned regular (87). Also, Ford's website is the worst among the major companies.
    I like sitting up so I can see better. Have some luggage loads occasionally. I just like the feel and look of an SUV. I already dumped my previous Explorer and bought a used Escape, intending to give it to my daughter. I feel like I'm driving a toy car in the Escape.
    Yes, keeping cars a long time is my MO. Previous to the Explorer was an '88 Chevy Blazer, which I also had for 13 years.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We're on our second CR-V and the latest generation is miles better than our last one. I can't imagine a better SUV.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love my 2002 Escape. It's got a V6, has room for all of my junk and can tow and it holds my canoe. Took it up to BC and camped in it. It's been as far East as Nebraska and as far south as Death Valley. Though, the new Escapes do nothing for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted