1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the iTune fans on the board...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Nov 25, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...I have an Ipod and two pc-laptops. The older laptop has iTunes + my library, which consists solely of CDs I own and have copied into the library. Is there a way I can transfer the original iTunes library from the old laptop to the new one?

When I plug my Ipod into the new laptop, it tells me I can only use it on the old laptop unless I want to erase it's memory.

Help!

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

First off, you should be able to use a firewire to connect the two PCs (I've never done it myself, but had it done twice. Basically a USB cable connecting the two, and you drag and drop). Second of all, the part about the iPod needing to have its memory erased is bollocks. Keep digging, you should be able to register it on the new computer without having to wipe the slate.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

TigerVols...go find an iPod/iTunes message board. I think you can get there off apple.com. There are backroads ways to do it. I copied my iTunes onto my iPod from my desktop PC, then dumped it onto my new Mac laptop.

4. Also, www.ipodlounge.com is a wonderful resource.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

Just as an aside, firewire and USB are 2 different connections. if you have firewire ports on both machines, use that because it's faster than USB.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You can also use an Ethernet patch cord to accomplish the same thing as a Firewire connection.

And there are many iPod utilities which will allow you to move your library from the iPod itself to the newer computer. This article may be of assistance.

TigerVols, after quickly glancing over a couple of reviews, I think you might find CopyPod 8.60 to be of assistance. It has a 14-day demo with all features enabled; after that, it will cost you $25.

FYI: the former iPodLounge.com is now the shorter iLounge.com thanks to Apple's phalanx of bloodthirsty attack lawyers.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Go to the Apple webpage. I did it about two months ago. I transfered the Itunes library to my Ipod and then to a new computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted