1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the girls

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Man, I hate you (well, not really). I started getting grays at 27 and since I have very dark hair, they're very noticeable.

For about 8 years, my hair stylist used semi-permanent color and that worked pretty well. The last few years, she's used permanent color. I don't really know why she switched and I haven't noticed one lasting longer than the other. I've never gotten highlights or anything. I just want the grays covered up.

One handy tip is to avoid washing your hair for as long as possible after you get the color. It helps seal it in. I also use a Paul Mitchell color-protection spray. I have no idea if it helps, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I used to do the Just for Men thing. I like to think I got over myself at some point.

My name is 2muchcoffeeman, my hair is graying at the temples and I don't give a shit. A younger friend of mine started to make fun of my gray hair ... that ended about the time I offered to pull his gray hairs out of his beard. With tweezers, one at a time. ;D

Honestly, s'chick ... you're having a cow over one grey hair? Yeesh. Embrace it like Emmylou did ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Salt and pepper on a man - sexy.
    A little graying on the sideburns - supercute.
    Patches of gray on a woman (unless she's blonde) - not so hot.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

When it's all gray, it can look amazing. When it's just a few gray hairs in otherwise really dark hair, it looks like shit.

When my hair looks like Emmylou's, I might embrace it

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

2much, I don't have any gray hair.

I'm just different.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

OK.. having just had red highlights put in my hair.. I'll tell you what my stylist told me:

1) do not wash your hair for 48 hours if possible. I lasted like 36 before I gave up. That means a couple of days of ponytails.

2) Look at the ingredients on the shampoo. Don't use anything with Ammonium Laureth (or Lauryl) Sulfate. If you have to, use something with Sodium Laureth Sulfate, but if possible, don't use either.

7. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

I'm a dark blonde and get lighter blonde highlights.

I second (or whatever) the notion to wait to wash your hair as long as possible. I usually go wash it not the morning after, but the second one.
    And I actually do use drugstore shampoo--the herbal essences formula for colored/permed/dry/damaged hair. (which I believe they are discontinuing, but I don't know for sure. I will be sad if they do.)

good luck!

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think I speak for many men when I say that we do not particularly care what your hair looks like, as long as it does not detract from the rest of you. About the only time I pay any sort of studied attention to a woman's hair is if I'm in a relationship...and then I'm just staying out of trouble by making sure I comment favorably on any changes.

List of physical attributes that are hot on a woman: face, the special part, the various round parts, legs, neck and shoulders, belly...hair's down on the list.

Be careful with highlights. Bad highlights are bad indeed. I used to work in a salon (massage therapist, not hairstylist!) and I saw perfectly attractive women spend huge amounts of money to make themselves look like whores.

SC, I'm sure you'll look great, but...that shit can be hard on your hair. If there's an Aveda salon in your town, go there. They have all-natural coloring products that'll be a lot easier on your hair and skin. And they ain't as stanky.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I have never given a rat's ass whether a boy has appreciated the colour of my hair. I do it for myself. If you want to tell me my hair looks nice, however, I will say thank you.

But woe be the man who makes a wiseacre remark (she said, opening herself up to a page of responses).

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't expect guys to notice what are in reality subtle differences: going from a "dark chocolate" haircolor to an "espresso" might make a difference to me, but it won't to a guy. However, dramatic changes shouldn't be that hard to pick up on. Going from blonde to brunette, going from curly to straight, adding serious chunks of color are things even the most dense of men should notice.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just because sometimes we don't say anything that doesn't mean we don't notice. In those instances, adopting Flash's outlook might be the best way to go.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

We scrimp and save in a lot of areas, but Mrs. Editude does go to salons for more than occasional color touch-ups. She says the coloring can't vary more than a shade or two from natural without looking off.

Draft saved Draft deleted