1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the girls

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 10, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

or boys, if you dye your hair.

I having my hair colored for the first time in a salon tomorrow, and I have a couple questions.

1) Is there anything I need to know? Chance of chemical burn, etc. (they did a patch test today).

2) How do you take care of colored hair, besides a different shampoo? I want to sound semi-informed when talking to the colorist about it.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Dead. To. Me.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Are you getting highlights or your entire head dyed?

4. sportschick

I'm 31, and I found gray hair. It must disappear.

Highlights, red ones (yea, I know they don't last long).

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You have virgin hair?

There is a joke to be made there, but I'm seriously surprised you've never had your hair dyed. And the highlights/allover does make a difference.

Know that it will get a bit lighter after your first or second shampoo. Don't freak out at the color initially if you think it's too dark.

Before you go in be sure to moisturize your face and neck. Even though they're supposed to be good about cleaning up dye drips, sometimes they're not. It will be easier to get off on well-moisturized skin.

You'll want to wash with a moisturizing shampoo, not a clarifying one. The color will hold longer. And remember: cheap shampoo, expensive conditioner.

If you spend a lot of time in the sun you might want to invest in a UV spray. Redkin does a good one. It will keep the color from fading, especially if you have highlights.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

With the highlights, they will turn brassy/fade faster than allover, but it shouldn't be too much to go back in for a color rinse to keep the red up.

7. sportschick

Never had it dyed in a salon. I bleached it once at home. That was a massive mistake. I don't wanna talk about it.

What about those shampoos for color-treated hair?

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I had never colored my hair (highlights or anything) until last year when I got blonde highlights. I love them! If your hair is really long, they'll likely use foil wraps. If it's short, I think it's standard they use a hat in which they pull the hair through.

Oh, and there is such a thing as "low lights" and "high lights."
    http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeup/makeupartist/0,,nxw8,00.html

I'm not an expert in coloring, but my recommendation is to purchase a salan shampoo for color-enhanced hair.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

TTIUWOP

And make sure the carpet matches the drapes.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Have been doing the colour thing for some time. I find my hair is actually healthier when I have it done although I have no idea why. Have never had highlights, though.

I use shampoo and conditioner for colour treated hair (from the salon, not the drug store) and find that makes quite a bit of difference - my hair is healthier and the colour lasts longer.

And take something good to read. You spend a lot of time just sitting and "cooking". :)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

WCV, I don't think SC asked for the care of a bald head in her first post (ducking)

12. sportschick

I'm going for a very rock and roll look. I made a lot of mistakes trying to get pink hair in college and it put me off hair color for 10 years (or so), but the guy at the salon seems to get what I'm going for. I may be on here bawling tomorrow though.

Draft saved Draft deleted