1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the cat owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

How much care does a kitten need?

My brother and myself want to get a kitten, say around ten to twelve to weeks old. We’ve had cats in the past but it’s been many years.

The only thing is that we’re both out of the house for about eleven hours a day. Should that preclude us from getting one? We’ve got a big house with a garden so space isn’t an issue, and we will be able to give it lots of attention when we are around.

I’m off for two weeks at the moment so if we were to get a kitten today it wouldn’t be on its own immediately.

Basically, it’s been so long, I’m just wondering how much care do kitten take at 10-12 weeks?

Would it be irresponsible to get one?

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Cats are fairly independent creatures, so I don't think an 11-hour absence will be that big of a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if it slept most of that time. Just make sure it has some food, fresh water, a clean litter box and perhaps a few small toys. And once you're home, give it lots of attention.

Something to consider: When I used to volunteer at the humane society, they encouraged prospective owners to adopt an adult cat because everyone wants a cute little kitten, making it harder for the adult cats to find a home. Adult cats generally bond with new owners just as well as kittens do.

3. I wouldn't leave a kitten home alone by itself for 11-12 hours. That's borderline cruel.

When they're older it's different. But as someone who has kittens running around the house right now, they need lots of attention when they're young.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

What about two kittens, so they keep each other company while you're gone?

No peeing or chewing issues, as with puppies, but a kitten does have the basic feline urge to be on top of things. Since they can't jump yet, they will climb anything which will hold their little claws. Like your bedspread. Or your curtains. Or your pants leg. They're quick learners, so this won't happen repeatedly, but the first time can be disconcerting.

One piece of advice: allowing a cat outdoors is strongly frowned on today. If you tell a shelter you plan to do that, they may not let you adopt.

5. Actually, that's what I did at my first job out of college - adopted two kittens. They'll keep each other entertained for hours, so I wouldn't frown on that.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two is the best solution.

Double the fun for you, and they are never without a companion. The extra work a second kitten requires is almost nothing.

But I'm also all for adopting an adult cat (or 2). They simply do not find homes as easily. I adopted an adult one 6 weeks ago. She is wonderful.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cats are like the Eagles of the pet world.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Get two cats. If you only get one, you'll wish you had gotten two later.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Cats are like roommates who don't pay rent and shit in a box that you then have to clean up.

10. We're actually going through a depressing time at the WB house, now that the kittens are old enough to go.

We found a nice woman to take the first one, but my wife was nearly in tears yesterday when it came time to hand over her favorite of the four to a young, engaged couple.

We had told the kid she could keep one of the kittens, and she chose a pretty girl cat she helped birth. The problem is that cat doesn't have half the personality as the cat my wife wanted.

I know we're the adults, but it didn't feel right.

Anyway, the most depressed is the mom cat. It took her a while to realize half her brood was gone, but once she did she's been hovering over the last two. She's shot us a couple of nasty looks.

Can't wait to see what happens when No. 3 goes today.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Question for the parents: How much work is a child? Wife and I are thinking about it. We've seen the little ones before and they seem cute. Would it be irresponsible to get one?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

1 - Are you gay?

2- Do you like soccer?

3 - Have you ever used a dead cat as a toilet brush?

Draft saved Draft deleted