1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for ooollllldddd sj.com gearheads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Sep 6, 2007.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

My "other" car is a 1962 Buick Special.

I've had problems with a leaky transmission this summer (pretty sure it's the seals) and therefore have not driven it much recently...to the tune of once every two months or so.

Today I decided to get off my lazy ass and drive it the four miles to the garage to get new seals. It starts up fine like always, but I have no power. Top speed is probably 40 mph and when it's idling, it's pretty low.

It shifts fine (it's a two-speed automatic) and I could drive in each gear but I have very little, if any, acceleration. I sped up when I went down a hill.

My fear is that I need to get the engine rebuilt (I have low oil pressure), which I knew was coming down the road but was holding it off until, you know, my bank account is a little more bulked up. It's a Fireball V-6 (for you gearheads, the first V-6 ever put in a car) and it kind of feels like perhaps not all of my cylinders are firing. But, also, could it be the carb? The gas in the tank is probably about a year old, and perhaps the carb is clogged?

I made it to the garage and added a tune-up to the seals, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. But I'm just wondering what I should be bracing for.

Draft saved Draft deleted