1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for landing job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Sep 28, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Alright, a couple posts ago I asked if I should re-apply to a position I got turned down for. Everyone said yes. Well, I e-mailed the editor and he said, sure, send it again to make if "official." Due to my hectic schedule, I failed to do so, but received the following when I got home tonight:

I am the editor of the Podunk Press and there is a sports reporter
    position open.
    i have an application from you from a previous opening, are you still
    intrested, are you working wlsewhere?.

Despite kind of getting a kick of the mistakes, I was pretty excited; I must have done something right! I replied saying, "Yes, I am still interested. Also, I can send you more clips if you'd like."

Should I wait for him to say "yes, send away," or should I just do it NOW?
    Shoudl I resubmit a cover letter or send a Thank-you letter soon?
    Basically, what's the next step? Is it in the editor's hands or mine?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Since you asked him about sending more clips, wait for him to respond and answer the question. If you send clips anyway, and the next day he responds by saying he doesn't need more clips, that might be a problem.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd send it anyway. It's easier for him to throw away one redundant set than it is to judge you with no clips at all, since he no longer has/can't find your old ones.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wait for friday, and then call him at the busiest time of the night on his direct line ... then ask him the question yourself.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A "landing job?" Are you applying for stevedore?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What you should have done, rook, is when you responded say that you are indeed still interested and will promptly forward some of your more recent clips.

No muss, no fuss, no hand-wringing and the editor gets the impression that you are a go-getter who is very interested in the position.

7. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I called him. Phone interview. Things went well...*fingers crossed*

Draft saved Draft deleted