1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for handymen (and handywomen)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, May 23, 2008.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Question for any handy folks out there (I ain't handy).

I need to replace my backyard fence this summer. The posts are all very sturdy and usable, but the panels are torn up and have gaping holes in them. So I'm planning to simply buy new panels from Home Depot or Lowe's or wherever and simply nail them to the posts. Voila, fence is fixed.

Sounds simple. But is it? I've never taken on any project of any real magnitude so I really don't know. Is this something a non-handyman can do with relative ease, perhaps with the help of another person or two? Or will I be getting in way over my head? I can hammer a nail. Will that one skill be sufficient? :p

Any advice and first-hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When you say you aren't handy, what exactly do you mean?

Can you run a power screwdriver (that's what you'll use instead of a hammer)? Can you run a string level from post to post so everything will line up? Will you have to cut any of the panels to fit?

3. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

When I say I'm not handy, I mean I haven't done much more than screw in light bulbs and hang pictures. I could prove to be handier, I just haven't been tested. :) But yes, I own and can run a power drill.

Only one panel will have to be cut to fit, and I think I can have that done at the store ahead of time. As for the string level, that's what concerns me most -- keeping them lined up. My yard isn't level, it's at a slight downhill angle. I kind of figured if all the panels are the same (which they would be), just by resting them on the ground they'd be as even as possible. The fence currently up isn't perfectly level -- it can't be because of the yard slope and lumpiness.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When you say "panels" what are you talking about? Big four-foot panels of wood or smaller plank-type pieces?

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'm fairly handy. Most of the males related to me are far handier. But we all agree on one thing. Putting up or replacing a fence sucks. Leave it to the guys that have chosen it as a career.

6. joe

joe Active Member

If the yard slopes, figure out where you want the first panel or board to fall along the post. String a line -- tight -- to the bottom post, and make sure the tips of the other panel or boards follow that line. If that means digging a little or cutting them (I hope you have circular saw) to make them fit, so be it. Ain't rocket science.

And if you use phillips screws instead of roberts, don't birdmouth them. Looks like shit.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just completed this project about two months ago.

By "panels" I'm assuming you're talking about the 4- or 6-inch slats, probably about 6 feet high, that get attached along horizontal boards. Is this right?

If so, before you start taking damaged boards off and replacing them, make SURE the posts are straight and properly anchored in the ground. The best way is with concrete; that way, you never have to worry about them leaning after a good storm blows through.

If the posts are straight and where you want them, the only tools you should need are an electric drill with the proper screwdriver bit, and a hammer (because not all the old screws may come out). Use galvanized screws in the replacement process and make sure they are long enough to grab enough of the wood being attached.

8. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I'm going to be doing the same thing this summer at a rental property we own, as soon as I find the time.
    The posts are in good shape and after talking to the old fella next door (old-guy neighbours are always the rest resource) I'm talking myself into thinking it's going to be pretty easy.
    Just measure the horizontal boards (I'm going to use 2 by 6s), get them cut at Home Depot and screw them in place using a level. Then, measure your vertical boards using whatever it is you want (I'm using 1 by 4s) and screw them in place. Down the line you go until your done.
    The unpleasant part will be the painting.
    I just had a 10 minute chat with the neighbour, he showed me what he had done to his fence and I'm going to copy him.
    If you ever need to cut a hole in your foundation for a dryer vent, I can advise on that since I just did it a month ago. That was not fun. It was easy though.
    I'm far from being a handy guy too. It's either learn or pay a stupid amount of money for someone else to do it. The quote for the 20-foot fence repair was $700. No way.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Paint everything BEFORE you attach it. If you have an area that allows this kind of work without creating too much of a mess (wind, how close you're working to areas where you don't want overspray) you might even be able to use a spray. The worst that can happen by painting beforehand is that you have to deal with smudges and fingerprints, and while there might be some touch-ups to do, it beats trying to get into those hard-to-reach areas when the boards are already up. Good luck.

10. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Thanks for all the responses!

The panels are pre-assembled 6'x8' fence panels, not the individual pickets or slats or whatever you'd call them. I was at Home Depot today and they told me if the posts are sturdy and properly spaced (which they are) that it shouldn't be too difficult, and shouldn't involve much cutting. I hope he's right... :)

And that's good advice about treating the wood ahead of time. That would probably be a lot easier...

Draft saved Draft deleted