1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for experienced Journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pderrick, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like others have said, keep your day job.

Or if you REALLY don't like your current job, go back to college for something else. But DO NOT study journalism.

Look at the ton of people being laid off, as well as leaving the industry for other employment. Newspapers themselves are closer to completing closing than adding staff.

Furthermore, you're likely to only get paid in the low, low $20K, if you even get that at all. And that's BEFORE your FIVE furlough days EACH QUARTER. Think of this way, you are basically getting a month off without pay.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I don't know what I'd do with a near-six figure salary after being in journalism this long. The idea sounds so foreign. I wouldn't be quitting that job anytime soon, I can tell you that much.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

The big question I have is...why have you "always wanted to be" a sports writer?

And as a follow up: why sports, as opposed to other sub-specialties?

The answer(s) will give you a major clue about whether you have what it takes to stay afloat in the biz.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I got into it for the chicks and big paychecks.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I find it strange that there's even a question about whether to quit a six-figure job to go into sports journalism. My god, passion is great and all, but it sure as shit doesn't pay the bills. If you quit a six-figure job, you ought to be slapped — or at least be involuntary committed for a head exam.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You gotta be single.

When you have a wife and kid, you will wantthe regular hours and the fat check.

String for your local paper or start a blog.

Draft saved Draft deleted