1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Cingular customers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have you been flooded with spam text messages over the past two days?

I've gotten three, my wife has gotten two. A guy at my shop bought his first cell phone on Monday, he was in the office today and said "Hey, I just got my first text message. I bet it's from my wife." Nope, it was the same spam.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I haven't gotten any recently. I get them occasionally, the ones about buying ringtones or whatever. You can opt out, but you have to opt out of each kind.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

These are about winning a cruise to the Bahamas and include a tollfree number to call.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No spam text messages here, though I do have a bone to pick with Cingular's bullshit advertising about least dropped calls. Apparently that independent survey talked to 2 people who work for Cingular's corporate office because my phone drops calls at will. Like 2-3 a day.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Amen. I never dropped calls with Sprint. Now I lose probably two a day.

Screw you and your bad advertising, Cingular!

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have Verizon, but my friends and co-workers who have Cingular complain regularly about lots of dropped calls. One friend had Cingular (then AT&T) a few years ago, then went with Verizon before recently switching back to Cingular. She said her calls drop in the exact same places they used to with the old AT&T and that she never had dropped calls with Verizon. I think those ads are total BS (at least in my area).

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I got one yesterday. Same type of deal. Bahamas vacation, calling toll free number.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've never gotten any spam texts and I've never had trouble with dropped calls either. I guess it depends on where you are.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm sure the dropped calls do depend on where you live. My sister lives in California and she called to complain about the dropped calls and Cingular told her they are having issues with towers in Southern California and for example only have 4 working towers in the entire San Diego area.

10. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

That's strange. When I had Sprint, the fucks couldn't keep me hooked up outside, downtown in a town of 25,000. No service. Three blocks from I-65 was OK, after that it was talk to you later.

Now, with Cingular -- in a town of about 100,000 -- I never lose calls.

No text messages either. Weird

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same thing here, Dyno. I had AT&T/Cingular for nearly three years, and it was a horrible ordeal. I couldn't make calls inside my apartment unless I stuck my head out the window. The reception was even worse at the bottom of a hill/valley; often the call failed to go through.

I can't say enough good things about Verizon. It's just tremendous -- clarity, good customer service, and most importantly, one dropped call in eight months.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup. I know of what you speak. Actally, for me, 80 percent of calls are dropped around the 15 minute mark. I can hear the signal start to go, then I have to call back. Great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted