1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for all you city-slickers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Feb 21, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I feel fairly comfortable in predicting that I won't be incorporating it into my personal vocabulary just because I now know what it means.

The only time I ever saw "oh, snap" on SportsJournalists.com was in a JDV post a few weeks back. ;D

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The only person I've heard say it is Joy on My Name is Earl. It seems to be their substitute for Oh, Shit, which I guess the network would frown on.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

In a serious attempt to answer your question, it means "DAMN" or "HOLY SHIT". The most common manner in which it is used would be if someone insulted another person, and then the person came back really quickly with a really sharp comeback, an observer would be inclined to say "oh snap"

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, bad, phat and fly are all positive modifiers.
    And saying something is 'the bomb' is a compliment.
    You can also say 'word' as a one-word interrogatory greeting as in 'What's new, friend?' Also used as 'word up.'
    'Word' can also be used as a one-word declaration of agreement.
    Please refrain from using the expression 'tub girl.'

Draft saved Draft deleted