1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about "The Vanifesto" and its practicality

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by read my stuff, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Taylee

Taylee Member

Wow. That really means there's no way in hell that would work in Gannett.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have said there was no way in hell it would work in the Tribune Co., either.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm not a sports reporter (and know nothing about Van), but this got me wondering:

"The best reporters...have personal home numbers for every player in the league they cover."

Really?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As pointed out, a lot of what Van was getting at was ideal, not always practical in the real world, but yes, good beat guys have an awful lot of phone numbers.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That jumped out at me as well. Can't see that happening. If you're doing a good job covering your own team, you're probably not even close to 100 percent there.

6. the fop

the fop Member

Think you guys are missing the point. It's supposed to be something to aspire to. "The best" reporters have a vast network of numbers. Every one? No. But you raise expectations by setting the bar high. It's not inspiring to say, "Reporters will be expected to have a home number for a player or two, several agents and all the league PR guys."

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I was wondering where that quote came from... then I realized that you actually read that babelfish pile of crap.

More power to you, but curses to you for making me look at that monstrosity closely.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that quote came from the Vanifesto.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man... I'm all confused, then.

What is that single-paragraph at the top of this thread then, and why is it intro'ed as "babelfish's opinion"?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You guys are taking Van's message and disecting it being "literalists."
    Van's message was to change a mindset. To challenge a ho-hum section.
    Don't breakdown each sentence, phrase. Look at the big picture. It will serve you better.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't see any pictures in the Vanifesto. It coulda used them. And no file art, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted