1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about the two-hole

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Whipped, Jun 5, 2008.

1. This has been coming up a couple times in some of my recent baseball stories: Coach makes reference to the two-hole or three-hole, not as in "two-hole hitter," but as in "he's batting in the two hole." I've been using it without the hyphen under the logic that I wouldn't hyphenate it if he said, "he's batting in the leadoff spot."

Then I saw this on an ESPN.com story: "You don't take Jeter out of the two-hole and put him in the seven-hole just because you're leaving the '4' and '5' guys on base," Damon said, according to the report.

AP Style Guide hasn't helped me in this respect. When it's not used as an adjective, is it two-hole or two hole?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you considered not using it at all and maybe paraphrasing the quote?

Well, since you're at ESPN, I'd guess not. I would go sans hyphen. (But you need a hyphen if you use it as an adjective as in two-hole hitter.)

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I thought this thread was about something SO much different.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ace, that was a 84 mph fastball right down the middle. And you didn't take the bat off your shoulder.
    "Two hole"? Damnit. Are you ok? Fever? Under the weather?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always let the first pitch go by. Why don't you take a crack at it?

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's cool. Working the pitch count early in the day.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Somewhere, zeke and stoob are smiling.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I think the correct phrasing is, "We dropped him to the two-hole because he was swinging the bat like a rusty trombone."

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why? He said two-hole, not POO-hole.

Draft saved Draft deleted