1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Steve Bartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 6, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Anymore info on this? I checked the schedule on the website and didn't see any about Bartman. Although it looked like they only had about 10 different ones with a bunch of repeats for a while.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You say you understand this, but you don't. Bartman had nothing to do with the Cubs' collapse. Not a damn thing, you understand. The poor guy was one of 3-4 reaching for a fucking foul ball, and the only one unlucky enough to touch it.

Moises Alou proceeds to react like a petulant 2-year old, and a fanbase that had previously blamed its teams inept-ness on a long-dead goat can now spew its bile at a real-live human being who did exactly what EVERYONE ELSE around him was doing.

Shit, man. Bartman isn't the reason the Cubs lost. The Cubs are the reason the Cubs lost.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

See, this is where I think Bartman screwed up. I think he misplayed an opportunity to possibly cash in at least a little bit on his notoriety.

If he mans up a little bit and shows some backbone instead of going into hiding the minute he pulls his sweatshirt over his face, I think he could made this event work for him, instead of against him.

True, he might have had to do this some place other than Chicago, but as I recall, the folks from Florida were offering to take care of him at the time.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That, and Stanley never covered first.

Something I figured out long before Fever Pitch.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

he was listening to the game, as a lot of hardcore fans do. poor guy. every dork in chicago dressed up as him for halloween that year. easy costume, one sure to limit any chance of a girl going home with you.

the media didn't help him out the next two days after that. i think mariotti referred to him as a dork in print.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Haha Mariotti calling someone else a dork. That's rich.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I think either Pierre or Castillo hit the ground ball Gonzalez booted, so the Cubs don't get two there anyway. Also, Cubs were up in Game 7 and Dusty wouldn't pull Wood (hi-yo) when it was obivous he didn't have it.
    Farnsworth put more gas on the fire in Game 6.
    And as a note there has to be something more interesting than Bartman in the last 30 years to do a sports doc.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That ground ball to Gonzalez was hit very hard. I think there's a good chance they get two.

I may just be hanging out with a higher class of Cubs fan, but I don't really know any who blame Bartman. If anything, they get sick and tired of hearing about him every time the Cubs play on national TV.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Castillo hit the Bartman ball. Later in the inning, D-Lee stroked a double if I remember correctly.

In hindsight, that 2003 Marlins team was very, very good.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The 2003 postseason was fantastic. Just a few days before the Bartman incident, Don Zimmer attacks Pedro Martinez and Martinez throws him to the ground.

A few days after the Bartman incident, Aaron fucking Boone.

Then Clemens retired. Kind of.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Again, I know. What I'm saying is, if Bartman does what he's supposed to do and gets the hell out of the way, nobody is pissed at him, even if the Cubs do collapse anyway.

I'm not a crazy fan. I don't want Bartman dead. But anyone with an ounce of self-awareness would know -- should know -- to get the fuck out of the way.

Saying the Bartman play had nothing to do with the Cubs' collapse is just as silly as putting all the blame on him. I mean, the refs in the Colorado-Missouri "fifth-down" game weren't the only reason Mizzou lost. I mean, they *could* have stopped Colorado on the second fourth down and still won the game, right? Second chances are a bitch, though.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

And we know for a fact Alou would have caught the ball?

Draft saved Draft deleted