1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Steve Bartman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 6, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Steve Bartman is the Cubs' version of Don Denkinger. Because of that, they convieniently forget Alex Gonzalez's error and everything else the Cubs did wrong to fuck up that series.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For the same reason Bob Stanley's wild pitch is forgotten in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The Buckner error was more spectacular. But you can, and I always will, argue that Stanley's 55-foot-slider was the real killer for the Sox that night.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

All this is true.

At the same time, Bartman, dude, have some awareness of what's going on around you and get the hell out of the way.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It wasn't two rows deep. It was barely over the railing.

[​IMG]

While I don't blame him (or any of the other people around him trying to get to it), there are a lot of fanboiloosers out there who would know to let your guy catch it but interfere with the other team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

From that angle, it sure looks like Bartman is reaching over the railing. I don't know. Fuck. Why are we talking about this again?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And it was only Game 6. They screwed up Game 7 as well.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

Bartman = Cubs' Denkinger

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Again, I understand all this.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that captain jackass is too busy listening to Frankie Goes to Hollywood on that damn 1980s walkman to get the hell out of the way.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who fucking cares? Leave the guy alone.

Some people are acting as if the Cubs wouldn't have found a way to fuck it all up anyway even if Alou had caught that goddamned ball.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Was Bartman the only fan who reached for the ball?

11. Hmmm... I wonder why Bartman doesn't give interviews?

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Bartman is definitely a convenient excuse for us Cubs fans but we all know Alex Gonzalez, as somebody pointed out earlier, is the real doofus in all this.

The big picture is that the Cubs were up 3 games to 2 in the series with games 6 and 7 both at home. Our starting pitchers for those games were Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, who at the time were two of the best in baseball (the only year they both actually stayed healthy all year).

And somehow we managed to lose BOTH games.

Funny thing, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the guy who hit the Bartman/Gonzalez balls was none other than Derek Lee, who was a Marlin at the time and is now one of the most popular Cubs among the Wrigley fans. Again, I may be wrong on that.

But really, when a foul ball is coming at you, it happens so fast and all you're thinking about is catching it. I doubt he stopped to think "hmm should I let Alou have it or should I catch it?" It was just a natural reaction to reach for it and there were 10 other people around him reaching for it too so any one of them could've been the "Bartman."

Funny though when you go to Wrigley these days, after the game tons of tourist fans swarm to that seat because they all want to have their picture taken in the Bartman seat.

Draft saved Draft deleted