1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KB8Fanatic, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

time for some truth.
    i am at a major metro, and have been for 10 years. and i do quite well. but, let me be clear. it wasn't always that way.
    i've worked shifts that included one-source features SLASH cover the game SLASH come in take calls SLASH layout the page SLASH wrists.
    and as far as being at a major metro making 2x 22k? my dept. hasn't had an outside hire since 2000. we have moved people from dept. to dept., and even paper to paper. but, we haven't hired anyone outside the company in 6.5 years.
    want to ask me again the current state of the business?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, if you are a college junior wanting to break into the business and haven't yet started working for a paper, correct that no later than Monday morning. Blow off this paper and flunk the class if necessary (you probably need to stall before graduation anyway.)

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Here in Cali, I think Kobe has reclaimed his God status. That's a lot of people worshipping Kobe. Yet, California still is the richest state in the country, has the highest percentage of college grads, highest median salary, etc.

I think the Kobe-worshippers are doing just fine.

And I agree. That accuser, if she made up the rape story, which by all evidence she was, then she deserved all the grief she got. I think false accusers in this country get off way too easy. I mean, look at the Duke scandal. Another case where time and evidence is proving completely false acusations. The guys lose a lacrosse season and the girl, if they find out she's lying, will get any legal penalty.

This is something I'm really passionate about. Where did I get these roots? In high school, where I considered a loser, some punk who was bullying me accused my of bullying him. I got in trouble. He did it again. I denied everything. I get a call to my parents and detention. Weeks later, after I continually proclaimed my innocence, vice principal overheard the punk bragging to friends about getting me detention by lying about me pestering him. Vice principal gave me an apology and took the suspension off my record. But the punk gets away with only a firm lecture. Not even detention. I've been pissed of at false accusers ever since.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This is a gag, right?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

KB--You're posting on a site comprised largely of writers and journalists, asking for help with a career in journalism. It might help your cause if a) you didn't lecture the people you're asking for help, and b) you use the spellcheck.

Good luck.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

No one ever recanted, pho-real 2 electric boogaloo.

Had she recanted, the outcome would have been very interesting, since 75 percent of the media already had decided Kobe was guilty.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

It's not a gag, I checked. She has a myspace page, she's legit. Not like pickle juice.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Give me the youth sports beat, too. In fact, I've had that one before. ... Provided you let me have a little freedom with what I'm doing -- there's never a good reason to COVER Little League games, or run their standings -- but my previous experience with that beat was a positive one. There's a never-ending plethora of stories that are out there to be found (and I don't mean "my 6-year-old is better than your 7-year-old" crap.) And the stories are pretty much similar in any community, so there is a formula that you can use to do it well.

And KB: Sports journalism is definitely a rewarding experience, if you want it to be. Lot of frustrations, as others have noted, but it also can be a lot of fun. However, it's definitely something you gotta be cut out for. Some people aren't. There's pros and cons to every business, though.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Valedictory speechs are, by definition, shallow. The person is just commencing their real world experiences. How in the hell are they going to know anything?

The Sunburn of 2006 reminds me of the only one worse. It was right before graduation. That was a long night.

I think the dead skin has finally stopped falling off. The real test will be checking the sheet in the morning to see if it's peppered with flakes.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

That's lovely. My sliding raspberry has healed to the point where I can pick the scabs off my butt, thigh and shin. It's a hoot.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

kb - why do you think journalists in general are so cynical? probably because at some point and time we realize people we admire and respect are actually much, much bigger assholes than ourselves.

also, if you want to be a journalist, you need to accept the obvious: you don't settle after someone recants. the babe from utah backed away from testimony only when kobe showed her the money after he bent her over a chair and raped her.

also, if you're really only a junior, it's not too late to change your major.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we are dude, and you know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.