1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KB8Fanatic, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK the spelling and grammer have been sub-prime. But compared to a lot of the young 'uns we've been attracting lately, KB has been polite, humble and sincere. Maybe just once we could reward that sort of thing?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got it covered.

3. Moderator1

Hey wait.
    KB8Fanatic.

We dealing with a JUNIOR fan here?!?!?

4. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

Fishwrapper, I do not want to become a sports journalist because of the money. I am quite aware of the fact that sports journalists do not make that much money, I attribute my urge to become a sports journalist to my love for sports and writing. I am also aware of the fact that there remains a barrier to the sports world when it comes to journalism and I am willing and ready to tackle that barrier and continue to follow my dream and try to become a prominent, well-known journalist. Being that I am aware of the fact that this career will not provide me with a lot of money, I am also taking some business classes and sports management programs so that I can also, one day, become a sports agent.

5. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

What exactly do you mean by "junior" fan?

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

22K? That's either exaggeration or a true U.S. sweatshop. I know people at major metros with only undergraduate degrees getting starting salaries twice that right out of college.

7. Moderator1

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

No. 8?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You haven't spent much time outside of major metros, have you? If you are starting out at a paper with less than 15k circ, 22k is what you hope to be making after a few years at most of them.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well bully for you. When you go up in an airplane at night, you know those patches of ground between NYC and LA that aren't lit up as much? Some people live there too. And they aren't all Scrooge McDuck diving into a vault of gold coins, if you get my drift.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

moddy... i'm guessing it's a reference to the rapist... but that's just me

and shit, pe, i know places where people have been there five years and barely above 22k -- you'd be surprised just how bad the pay can be in this gig

11. KB8Fanatic

KB8Fanatic New Member

Actually I am a Kobe Bryant fan, hence the KB8

12. Moderator1

Oh yeah, that 8.  KB.

I thought her initials were KB, 8 was JR *** I need to stay off the NASCAR thread.

A Kobe fan might be tougher for me to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.