1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Rutgers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Oct 19, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I grew up in New Jersey; as far as I can remember, whenever we talked about the main campus of Rutgers we said it was in New Brunswick.

Now all they talk about is Piscataway. I've never been down there, so I thought maybe the stadium and athletic facilities were in Piscataway, but last night the ESPN announcers talked as if Piscataway is the college town where Rutgers is located.

I know I'm not dreaming about the New Brunswick part. Were we just clueless up in northern Jersey, and it was in Piscataway all this time?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The main campus is in downtown New Brunswick.
    There is another campus in Piscataway, known as the Livingston College, that includes the RAC and the stadium and a lot of dorms

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How far is Piscataway from New Brunswick?

Are they two separate campuses like Texas-Arlington and Texas-San Antonio?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Next town over... 2-3 miles from middle of New Brunwick campus to Stadium.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course, if you watch ESPN broadcasts of Rutgers you'd think it is located in Times Square, which always drives me crazy. New Yorkers, for the most part, couldn't care less about Rutgers.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Thanks.

I knew I wasn't nuts. Rutgers always had a crazy system, with all its colleges and their fancy-schmancy names.

I prefer the proud simplicity of my semi-alma mater (went there two years before transferring), Rutgers-Newark.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's the layout:

http://maps.rutgers.edu/maps/default.aspx

College Ave. Campus is New Brunswick
    Busch and Livingston campuses are Piscataway... on the other side of the Raritan River

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Growing up in Newark, I was a Seton Hall fan and always hated Rutgers. I enjoyed it whenever they lost - got a sick pleasure out of it, actually. I always laughed at their pretension of being a big-time football program when Penn State could get any high school kid they wanted in New Jersey. I always found it difficult that if the were The State University, they weren't called the University of New Jersey.

Thanks, I feel much better getting that rant off.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So I take it there is no such thing as a University of New Jersey? I'd kind of always assumed Rutgers was a private school. That's not the case, correct?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, Tony. Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Next Porsche you boost make it two towns over ... and I get a taste."

12. digger

digger New Member

Not a big disagreement here, but its less then a mile from the main campus in New Brunswick to the stadium (basically crossing the bridge over the river).

The "University'' is broken up into smaller colleges. Livingston College Campus is also about a mile away, in Piscataway. Busch Campus is a part of Rutgers College. The other colleges are Cook and Douglas (which used to be all women, might still be). They might have unified them all in recent years, I know it comes up every once in a while.

Cook and Douglas campus are in the south end of New Brunswick, 1 to 2 miles or so from the Rutgers College campus.

Busch campus is in Piscataway and is where the stadium is, but most of the dorms there are probably as far away from the stadium as the part of Rutgers college that's in New Brunswick.

Draft saved Draft deleted