1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about possible NCAA rules violation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Central-KY-Kid, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Last month, the local fitness center held a summer blast party, which featured a cornhole tournament, sand volleyball tournament, tennis tournament and 3-on-3 basketball tournament.

One of our local athletes, who plays (could start) for a NCAA Division-I sweet 16 team, came back to his hometown and won the 3-on-3 tournament.

Is there any possible NCAA violation involved? As long as he didn't get prize money (or prize)? New guy at the local U seems clueless.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Simple answer: was the event sanctioned by the NCAA or not?
    If so, no problem.
    If not, (fairly) big problem.

3. Central-KY-Kid

The event benefitted breast cancer awareness. Apparently all proceeds from entry fees went there. The player in question is pictured with a trophy, but there is no mention of prize money, gift certificate, etc.

Info was forwarded to the local U.

Two of the players on the college player's team play for a local high school, but I don't think the high school association's rules are quite the same as the NCAA.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't think so... college athletes used to play in the Gus Macker all the time, held out of season and without coaches present.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As long as the athlete wasn't paid in any way it's not a violation.

The NCAA doesn't sanction fund-raisers.

What's a cornhole tournament?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cornhole tournament?

Not sure if it still holds true today, but Knight benched Alford for being in a promotional calandar that was doing nothing than raising funds.

I think the logic is if you stand to gain from your fame or ability doing something outside of your team, then things get tricky.

I'm sure this has happened before.

OK, here is something.

http://www.teamaggie.com/rules.html

Promotional activities
    "All charitable, educational and non-profit promotional activities involving student-athletes must have prior approval from the athletics department. A student-athlete will become ineligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if he/she accepts any payment for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind. If a student-athlete's name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, playing cards, posters etc.) or is used to promote a commercial product without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, the student-athlete and UC Davis are required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain the student-athlete's eligibility. If you use a student-athlete's name, picture or appearance without checking with the Compliance Services Office, you risk the student-athlete's eligibility."

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, this thing.

[​IMG]

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

No obvious violation here. If he appears in a promo for the event he's got issues, but even then they're small. Covered a player once who was suspended for two games for appearing in an ad for a local fitness center in his hometown. The only way he could be at issue here is if his fee to enter the tourney were waived, which would almost certainly be considered an unfair benefit.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are the two high school kids potential recruits? That could create problems also.

10. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Knight didn't bench him. The NCAA benched him for a game even though the proceeds from the calendar were going to charity.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Out of a seven-school area, neither kid didn't make our 10-player all-Area team. If they're recruits, they're diamonds in the rough. He (the college player) was the state's Mr. Basketball.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I can almost assure you that an NCAA rule has been violated. I say that because college athletes and potential college athletes would have to be blind and mute to avoid breaking one of the 8,437,443,298 NCAA rules.

It's ridiculous how overbearing the NCAA has become. We're actually trying to decide if winning a damn 3-on-3 tournament might be some sort of violation.

College athletics are quickly headed down the same path as NASCAR, where the small, modest programs have no chance of competing because they simply can't enforce all of these rules. A compliance department consisting of a couple of fulltime workers at a small D-I school has no chance of monitoring all of that school's athletes and maintaining a violation-free athletic department.

You see it all the time in conferences like the SWAC, where about once a year a member school gets busted for a boatload of compliance-related violations. In most of those cases, there was no intent to cheat. The school just doesn't have the resources to adequately monitor hundreds of athletes and dozens of coaches in a 15 sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted