1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about a wireless router

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Dec 17, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know if Rosie is on, and since my question is somewhat time dependent, I thought I'd open it up here.

Can I just unplug my wireless router from my apartment, drive it to my parents' house two states away, and plug it in there and just have it work? Do I have to reconfigure it? Does the same password hold?

How does it work?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

To the best of my limited knowledge, the router should reconfigure itself to work at your parents house and the same password should always hold true.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

It will work fine as long as you do not a have an encrypted network. (as you should) You will have to reinstall your wireless router to network with the new cable or DSL ip address. Your wireless router should have come with a start up disc when you bought it. If you lost that disc or never received one for some reason most routers have online support to assist you in setting up your network.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I lost everything. :(

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I don't think he's right. My IP address was floating and my wireless did just fine with whatever IP address it decided to use that day.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

No way some tech person somewhere can extract it?

7. indiansnetwork

The router should have a reset button on it. (most likely in the back you need to use a pencil or pen to push) You have to reset the router to factory defaults first. After resetting the router you have to reconfigure your router. If you plan on doing banking or other financial transactions I would suggest you set up a new password encrypted network. Once again find or use the CD that came with your router. If you do not have this go to the manufacturers web site and use their support to set up a new network. At most it will only take about 25-30 minutes to set it up. I would strongly suggest you write all the process down and write your network passwords down. Once you set up the network your laptop should store the password info so if you get disconnected it will reconnect as needed. One caveat. You have to be on the same Internet provider to use your network.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What? Seriously? Because my IP is one local to my city of residence. It won't be the same at my folks. Does that really matter?

Fuck.

9. indiansnetwork

That can be true but if you originally set up a encrypted network you will have to reset the routers setting given that she may be on a different Internet provider. If the provider is the same but if you move you may still need to set up a new network but not likely. The key is if it does not work you have to reset the router and start with factory defaults.

10. indiansnetwork

What internet provider do you have at home and what will you have at your parents? If you use Verizon at home but use AT&T at your parents your router will not work. But if you use Verizon at both you could be fine?
    The key is if it does not work you have to reset the router and start with factory defaults.
    [/quote]

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So let's say I use some local company that is a fly-by-night operation, and my mom's on Verizon (no idea). If I reset my router, will it work? Or am I completely fucked regardless because our providers don't match?

12. indiansnetwork

The IP address is assigned by your provider so if you change Internet providers they will not have matching or updated addresses and will not allow you to connect through a wireless network.

Draft saved Draft deleted