1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Querying SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tony soprano, Sep 19, 2006.

1. tony soprano

tony soprano New Member

Anyone have any advice and/or a contact name for submitting a freelance query to SI?

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, not to be cynical, but good luck.

It would have to be some kind of spectacular, unbelievable piece to get SI's attention. They do that work themselves.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

SI very, very rarely uses freelancers, and never runs unsolicited freelance pieces that I'm aware of.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Write a book, then query SI. They seem to be running an awful lot of book excerpts lately (Michael Lewis' piece on left tackles in the new issue, the Unitas piece a few weeks ago ...).

Seriously, I have nothing for you, but write a book.

5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I'd make a few copies and send it to several people, not just one. Look at the staff list and pick out five or six people...but not the whole staff.

What do you have to lose? It's not like Michael Silver is going to tell Deuce McAlister to run over you in his car. Worst case scenario is you never hear back. Best case? Well, sky's the limit, my man.

I think I read somewhere that Steve Rushin got his foot in the door with a submitted freelance story.

6. deportes

deportes Member

hit up richard demak. he’ll actually respond. good luck.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why send a query letter? You're hired!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

DOH!!!!! We let that one slip right by us!

Well done, Claws.

Draft saved Draft deleted