1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queen Plans New Album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Spot on, Bubbler.

Aside from a few songs, everything following "The Game" was dreck. And this is coming from someone who LOVES the band.

2. Trey Beamon

Fair enough. I mean, what would Green Day be without Billie Joe?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. I love Dirnt and Cool, but I don't know if I'd listen to Green Day with another lead singer. And they've been my favorite band for about 13 years.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Pittsburgh Pirates without Jim Leyland?

Oh wait...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That live album was outstanding. I hope they tour behind this so I can see it (hi Junkie!).

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was getting an effing haircut tonight, and 'Somebody To Love' came on on the shop's radio. I and my hairdresser were both vibing to it.

This will not work, and I will ignore it.

7. Trey Beamon

Junkie lectured me (via PM) about it when I initially said I wouldn't buy the album, for the same reasons Mikey and others have stated.

"You're not a real Queen fan ... blah, blah, blah." :D

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They're still shitty.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm generally of the opinion that when the singer and/or principal songwriter leaves the band/dies, it ceases to be the same band.

AC/DC and Van Halen are the only two bands I can think of that remained successful (though were arguably not as good) without their original/most well-known singer.

And not only does Rodgers not have the stage presence/charisma to pull this off, he doesn't have the vocal chops, either.

10. Trey Beamon

Queen sans Freddie and Pirate jokes on the same thread? A man can only take so much. :-\

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I promise I'll stop if you promise you'll stay away from what's under the kitchen sink.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I refuse to listen to a "man" who owned an NKOTB record.

Shoo, girl full of fail. Shoo. :D :D :D

Seriously, I didn't want anything to do with the Queen/PR combo at first either. But Rodgers is an outstanding lead man...he can sing anything. It didn't sound like karaoke (hi forever!) nor did it sound like he was trying to imitate the one-of-a-kind Mercury. It was his interpretation of Queen, and it worked.

I don't have much interest in a studio album, but I definitely want to see the hits live.

Draft saved Draft deleted