1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q: Are schools safe? TV station: Let's get one locked down and find out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So I guess the rubber gun/abandoned backpack in the airport story is on hold?

Where the reporter went wrong is when they started not following the verbal commands of the school staff. A school is a public building, but it also acts like a private building. An example is you cannot film faces inside of a classroom. If this was a true public building, you could film anything and everything, but there are limits of what can and cannot be done.

There are many levels and forms of school security. You can have people swipe drivers licenses or have them enter telephone numbers and wear stickers, but people need to understand that when they are there, they are the guests of the school. They cannot do whatever they want or go wherever they want.

I would also not underestimate that this stunt stopped medical services to students for an extended period of time. Some students get insulin shots during the day. Under a lockdown, I don't think they would have gotten them until the lockdown was lifted.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy got a school locked down too:

3. printit

printit Member

This has been done before. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20061004/NEWS01/310040042/TV-employee-can-t-get-past-school-security
    Usually ends badly.
    This is absolutely trespassing.

4. 93Devil

good

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I may be wrong, but don't you have to be have been asked to leave, and have refused, to be found guilty of trespassing?

6. 93Devil

There should be signage at the school telling all visitors to report or check into the front office.

It's just like posting property line signs. You can trespass without a verbal warning.

7. The Big Ragu

The guy did report and check into the front office. If what you suggested is really codified into law, he didn't break that particular law.

8. 93Devil

You are allowed access to certain areas of the school as a visitor. If you go where you are not allowed access, you are trespassing.

As I stated earlier in this thread, if you feel so confident in your position, go into a school, check in, then walk into a classroom when you said you needed to go to the bathroom. Debate with the police officers what trespassing is.

9. The Big Ragu

I don't have a "position."

I just wanted to know if the guy violated any trespassing laws, the way you keep suggesting.

I can't imagine he has, based on the little I think I know about criminal trespassing. But you have told us he should be being prosecuted right now -- with a changing set of reasons in every post.

Show me a "You are not allowed access to certain areas of a school as a visitor" law.

Maybe you're right. ... I just can't imagine that law exists, because it is way too vague to be prosecutable.

From what I think I know about criminal trespassing in a situation like that in most places -- although I may be wrong, so please correct this if I am -- he'd have to have failed to leave the school after being asked to, to be guilty of breaking any law.

Am I wrong? And if so, are you guessing or is it really the law anywhere?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My understanding of the law is the same as yours.

11. 93Devil

I work in a school.

Go test your theory out.

It would be up to the school division to press charges if you if you are removed, but they have the right to.

Now if the school resource officer slaps the cuffs on you, then it is automatically a police matter. But what do I know?

But keep attacking the poster.

12. 93Devil

Maybe you guys should read link above link.

Draft saved Draft deleted