1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q&A with Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel on LeBron, Cleveland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TMitrosilis, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I agree with the earlier post that it might be good to have a special board on which to pimp your work. (Or pimp your friends.)

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And from what we have learned on this valuable thread, we should all bring little scraps of paper so we can take inconspicuous notes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good idea, Boom. Maybe we could call it something like "Writers Workshop."

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. This wasn't a little gamer looking for a critique, it was an interview with a successful and relevant sports journalist. We should be encouraging people to contribute here and discuss the craft, instead of chastising them for violating some imaginary etiquette.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK. It might open some doors we'd rather not, but you're right, no big deal to skip a thread.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

As it is explained in writer's workshop, that area is for people to solicit critique of their work. I don't think this writer is necessarily looking for a critique. He offered a story that adds to the conversation about our business. Does it add much to that conversation? That's worth discussing on the Journalism Topics board, isn't it?

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

What doors would that be? If I posted my gamer about last night's game on here, that in no way adds to the conversation about journalism. This does because it talks to a writer about his process, which is something potentially useful for anybody who uses this board as a resource.

There's a big difference between the two. I don't think that this story being on here opens the door for making it OK for me to post my next gamer or feature on here (why would I do that anyway?). But if I do a piece that is about journalism, shouldn't that be a journalism topic?

To me, if somebody wanted to link any story written by Ken Auletta, for example, that would be worthy of a place in Journalism Topics Only.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I get Dooley's point, no one wants this to become a vanity press loaded with irrelevant links.

But sometimes we overthink this stuff here.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Me? Overthink something? Preposterous. (Actually, I do it less than I used to, thankfully.)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unpossible.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the compliment.

As for Joe Girard, LOL. I've never said I was friends with him or implied as much.

I've met him several times & found him to be a good guy. Maybe he's not. I've defended him on a couple of occasions only because BYH is obsessed with him (and Mike Scioscia). His criticism is way over the top.

He tried to label him "a bad guy".

And, while the criticism of Jones is often over the top and petty, (to be fair, the dick sucking is pretty over the top too) and deserves a response, I don't think anyone's ever labeled him a bad guy.

I also don't defend Girardi because he's my friend (which he's not).

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular. Just a general observation about thread policing....how many times a thread goes up and the first five responses are: a) We have a running thread for this, b) already discussed last October, c) release the hounds, d) why do we need a thread on this, e) DB! DB!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.