1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting the NO in Monopoly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I always go to this Italian bakery in town that has been family-owned for nearly a century and is very old school (35 years ago, the bakers come in to work at night only to find dynamite in the ovens because one of the cousins had gambling debts.)

They have a lot of high school help in there and they refuse to let the kids use the cash register to make change. They have to do it in their heads. I think that is an awesome thing that they force these kids to figure it out on their own.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember working with those pre digital cash registers and the rules for making change

Someone gave you a twenty and the total was $13.32, you counted back the change to the customer as you handed it over. You didn't just shove a pile of coins and bills at them.

So, it was like

3 pennies...$13.35
    nickel & a dime ,,,,$13.50
    Two quarters...$14.00
    And a five and a one dollar bill (prior to loonies).....$20.00

And you NEVER put the bill they gave you in the cash register until AFTER the transaction was completed.

Draft saved Draft deleted