1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putting the NO in Monopoly

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 4, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We used to play marathon Monopoly by keeping our gains on losses on paper. Games could last for days and days -- or about 15 minutes longer than a regular Monopoly game.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DON'T FUCK WITH THE RECIPE!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

QB
    I'm honoured. :)

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

This isn't the first Monopoly game to use the debit card system. I think the "Here & Now" (which isn't very "here and now" anymore - it features Jacobs Field and Texas Stadium) had an electronic version. I got the paper money version of that game. I thought it was fun, but the inflated property values were very disorienting at first.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm in line at the supermarket a week ago. The couple in front of me has an item without a bar code on it. Clerk sends a bagger back to look at the price on the shelf. Bagger comes back and says they're three for $4. Cashier looks at the couple, and me, without a freakin' clue as to how to figure out the price of one. . . . 10 seconds go by . . . 20 . . . she's frozen . . . she's staring at the keyboard as though, magically, a voice is going to blurt out the answer. If I hadn't told her what to punch it, we'd still be there.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You told her 75 cents, right?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe she's really good at doing long division in her head and she was frozen in a loop of repeating 3s?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think our house record before someone got pissed and flipped the board was about 7 hours. After that we'd abandon the game and go to fighting.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Exactly. Gotta have money for free parking – we started at $500. Play by official Monopoly rules only? That ain't American.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Awesome

---------------------------

It's not like they're going to stop producing traditional Monopoly, right?

All the board games are released in dumb versions like this. How else are those companies supposed to make any money if they don't come up with slightly new products?

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Does anyone NOT play with some kind of free parking money? ... If memory serves the current rules almost acknowledge that people play that way by stating that there is no benefit to landing on free parking.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I played with an uncle one time that got extremely pissed when we tried to put money in the middle for free parking. He used a racial epithet to describe the "only type of people that play like that."

Draft saved Draft deleted