1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Put another pot of coffee on in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 13, 2008.

1. I'm assuming those of you who think divided government is a good thing will be voting for McCain, since it appears the Dems will retain the House and Senate?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Seriously, that's the best you've got?

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I don't know if divided government is the best way to put it. It's more an extra checks and balances system.

As I have stated above, there will be a division in the Democratic party with these elections anyway. Conservatives calling themselves Democrats are still conservative.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Connect this: At this stage, the letter R in the voting booth might as well be a big scarlet letter A. It's toxic. It's poison. It's the electoral equivalent of a kick-me sign.

I'll accept that in some of these districts, Democratic victories are attributable to protest votes. But here's the thing: John McCain? Got a big old fat R next to his name. No matter how much he wants to pretend he's different, he's got that scarlet letter R hanging over his head.

6. RedSmithClone

The best I've got? Shit I'm knocking my own guy in the process. He too - although he has come to realize we want the border secured before any other reforms are done - seems more open to letting illegal immigration continue.

And I don't know where you are from, but in the city I grew up in and still reside today, this is most definitely one of those "issues that affect people's lives on a daily basis."

7. RedSmithClone

I agree with that.

Although I still don't think the R next to his name will hurt him as much as it has these other candidates.

I still say, as I have on many other threads, that Obama is unelectable and McCain will win big.

8. Then he should be so far behind in the polls he'd need a set of binoculars to see the front.

Methinks you're a bit overzealous in your assessment here.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Once he gets any attention from the other side, I think that'll change. Once people realize that this isn't the John McCain of 2000, no matter how much he wants it to be, it'll change. And before you counter that people will realize Obama isn't who he wants them to think he is, bear in mind that if neither of them is "different," then it just goes back to the D and the R.

10. Again, I think you're painting a far-too-rosy picture of the Dems here.

I think it will be very, very close. And the election isn't today. It's six months from now.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The picture has been pretty rosy so far for the Dems.

The election in Mississippi is a perfect example of it. Look at the turnout for a special election. There is an unprecedented motivation and hunger among Democrats to win this election cycle.

Republicans can try to make this a referendum on race, on Rev. Wright or whatever. But it's really about Bush, and McCain won't be able to escape it.

12. Dems won't be able to win it by themselves.

I think you should put the champagne back in the ice box for a while, spin.

Draft saved Draft deleted