1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pushed by a referee; what recourse do I have?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mateo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Just for clarification, when you're saying behind the numbers, you mean the number pylons (usually orange) that are set about 5 yards or so off the sideline?

2. Took every bit of restraint I had ...

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

OK. I'll be the asshole here.
    Get. The. Fuck. Off. The. Field.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

I love the guy who says push him back.

That's sound advice. Pick a fight during a game with a high school official -- the one guy who can call security and have ANYONE thrown out of the stadium. That video will end up on youtube in about 20 seconds. "Reporter attacks high school referee" -- 10 million hits. You will never, ever, ever, ever win that battle.

File assault charges? For being pushed when you're standing in a restricted area? Sorry, but "I was only a yard away from the field" or "the players were closer to the field than I was " won't win you the case.

You have one play here. Tell the guy you didn't appreciate being pushed.

5. Good points all.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank God everybody but Huckleberry had measured, intelligent reponses.
    This is a battle you can not win, Mateo, so just let it go.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stick your foot out next time...

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, that works very well, too, slappy

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sometimes the simple things are the best, you know

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Only thing I would say, bud, is this: If your paper is making you video the game you don't have much choice but to be on the sidelines.

11. Mateo

Mateo Member

Believe me, it's been forgotten. I'm well over it. But at the time, it struck me (no pun intended) as odd. Refs yell at photogs all the time, they're doing their job. It was the act of pushing me that got me all riled up. If he would've done that to a woman, he'd be given his walking papers.

Sueing the dude was never part of my thought process. Picking a fight is just dumb and wouldn't solve anything. Maybe a call to the league office is warranted, but that's about it.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what would jesus have said?

Draft saved Draft deleted