1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purchasing a Laptop -- help needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Don't know if this is still accurate, but when I was buying my Mac laptop a few years back the USB port was a big deal... the little iBooks didn't have them on the right side, making it tough for a right-handed person to plug in and use a mouse without an extension.

While I love, love, love my Powerbook, PC laptops do seem to be a little more durable... mine is very tempermental about being picked up and moved, I usually have to restart.

2. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Take a picture of that and post it ... I'd like to see that on a Dell.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While Apple makes an exceptional O/S, there could be a case of portablity of old data.

The old computer was a Dell, and as long as the hard drive is not the reason for the PC's death, all data can be saved.

Also, check on the applications that are most important. Are they offered for the Apple O/S? While this concern has been minimized greatly in recent years, it still isn't exactly on par.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can't do it till tomorrow, but sure, why not...

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

The MacBooks, as a bonus, can run XP without too much trouble since they're using Intel chips now.

I'm using an older Powerbook, and it's still plenty fast for me. I love Apple. LOVE Apple. I can't imagine not using one.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If you have a Dell laptop, see if it's being recalled due to a fire hazard: https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

If anyone here buys a Dell I will hunt you down and kill you. And no court in the land would convict me.

Dell. Fucking. Sucks.

I fucking hate Dell. The day I get a new Mac--and drop this hunk of shit off the tallest building I can find--will be one of the five happiest days of my life.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

But, dude, it's a Dell.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

10. lono

lono Active Member

Macs totally rule. But buy the extended warranty. It's money well spent.

I travel all over the country with my Mac and it gets tons of use and insane abuse. When the hard drive shit the bit at the end of last season, Apple replaced it free of charge, no questions asked.

The local Apple genius told me, "There are only two kinds of hard drives. The ones that have crashed and the ones that will."

Glad I got the extended warranty.

Draft saved Draft deleted